Fear -- Chapter 11

Reiji oozed the scent of expensive cologne. It was usually a nice smell. Today, trapped in his car, it was awful.

"You haven't asked any questions. Not even, why I pulled you from the street?"

I felt his eyes watching the back of my head. Observing, waiting for a glimmer of any kind of expression. I refused to leave him any.

"I'm not talking to you."

He chuckled, the arrogant kind, and it irked me.

"A foolish idea. I could tell you many things. Sacrificing this for babying your wounded pride, I think you'll find is a waste of time."

I bit back a scoff. What did he expect? To steal me from the streets, and I would be perfectly fine with it? The other, money-hungry women might be, but I hardly needed money. Besides, I'd already tried rich. Their ego overlapped whatever feelings they developed.

"What is it with me? Why are you so fixated?"

My selected question did not seem to please Reiji; he answered with silence, and the fury only built.

"So you entice me with answers then don't give me any? Should have--,"

"Because I'm entranced by you, (First Name)."

Whatever rage I had steadily built up was defused. I blinked back tears and rested my cheek against the window - smudging it, though I was very much careless to that now. Reiji faltered in the corner of my eye, not expecting the reaction, not knowing what to do with it.

"So? Where are you taking me?" I caved in. I felt vulnerable, foolish. Like everything that happened was my fault. I had not fought back hard enough, had not chosen the right words.

"Home. My home, rather, though soon to be ours. My father will be arriving an hour after, so I'll need you to behave. There are plenty of ways to punish you now that I have you."

Punish. Ah, that's the kind of situation I'm in.

More than ever, I was afraid. Scared of the man that sat just a metre away, the colour of his blood red eyes more daunting than any other shade. What kind of fear was this, worse than anything else? Was it instinctual?

My ribcage tightened against my pounding heart. It didn't stop; not for the slight smile on Reiji's lips, nor did it for the slow halt that the car came to, as it reached the end of Reiji's driveway.

--

Shuu had been staring at the ceiling for an hour.

He was restless, and bitter about it.

Not only had he been staring at the ceiling for an hour, but Shuu was suffering from that deep, regret filled wound he had that refused to heal.

Rather, it was not a real wound -- he'd need to do something active to gain that much.

But it was there, and it was painful, and it seemed to be leaking almost all the time. No matter how much he tried to forget, that wound remained.

It was caused when she broke up with him.

She had been the best part of his mundane life. There was no chance he'd meet someone like her again, and since his father had given up on his existence, he needn't search either.

The majority of his memories spent by her side were positive. Back then, Sundays were his favourites. They would drink, a little at first, and play games. Then, he would open up the cellar and she, drunk out of her mind, would hide from him. He would be exhausted at the end of it, and, laughing, they would collapse on the couch and watch movies together till they passed out.

He never touched her, laid not a finger on her.

How could he? He loved her so painfully, that doing anything of the sort would ruin him forever. So why did he, that night?

Shuu sat up. Once again, he had allowed himself to indulge in those tortured memories. The thoughts were never enough. He needed to fix things with her, so he could sleep properly again.

But then, how was he meant to face her?

Shuu heard the sound of car wheels crackling over gravel. Peeking through the window, he furrowed his brow in confusion.

Reiji was home? Why?