Chapter 6

"Aieeeee!" Myth squeals in delight. Her hands clap together faster than the eye can follow. She hops in circles around Aaron as she parades, "You did it, you did it! I can't believe the trash I said actually helped! Whoo! Aaron, you did it!"

Aaron chortles softly at his small victory, but the joy from Myth's face is highly contagious, as Aaron can't help but to join her in their short moment of euphoria.

With a smile still on their faces, he goes to roast their prized dear. After adding all the seasoning, Myth doesn't seem to mind that they had to hunt to catch their dinner. She's seems to have forgotten that "mind-blowing" event, and rocks side to side enjoy the scent of her coming meal. Her stomach growls in approval.

********

After successfully cooking the deer, if not it being a little burnt, Aaron slices some off for Myth and himself. The night is cold, so they sit side by side, hoping to extract a little warmth from each other.

"So um. . . why are you so good? At magic, I mean." Aaron is flustered when he tries to break the silence. Myth had felt comfortable, but Aaron does not. When she seems silent he continues, "Ellis--I mean my master, said that he used to be classically trained. You know, at an actual school for magic 'n stuff. Back when they were everywhere. He told me that a lot of them shut down because too many people were being corrupted and using them for their own uses. I mean, I think a few are still open, but only in certain locations that are kept mild secrets, ya know? Uhh. . . What I'm trying to ask is, are you classically trained?"

"No, I'm not. I'm not classically trained." Myth's voice was barely more than a whisper. Though she is looking down, her eyes seem to look as if she is gazing into the distance. Again, Aaron asks how she became so skilled. She elaborates, "Talent, I guess. I'm not sure, really. I always felt the urge to perform it when I was a child. It just drew to me. My mother would walk into the room to find me waving my wand, and she'd scream, 'Aurora! What are you doing? You're supposed to be studying and practicing your duties. Not flooding your mind with uselessness and dark spirits. What will your people say about a princess that can't prefor-'" Myth went silent.

". . . Aurora? Princess?! What?"

"Nothing."

"Like 'ell nothin'! Say what you were saying again?"

"Aaron, it's nothing. Please drop it." She huffs when she sees determination burning bright in his eyes. Either that, or it was simply the reflection of the fire. It had risen for a moment when Aaron had exclaimed his surprise. Aaron then tries his secret weapon. One that would never work on someone so strong and willful as Ellis, but perhaps Myth seems weak enough. Just enough. His secret weapon? Puppy-dog eyes.

Myth groans in detest, but eventually a little smile curves upwards at the edge of her mouth. She gives into the smile and giggles, "You look like you've been sippin' a little too much wine when you do that, Aaron." She continued to laugh a little while Aaron regretfully retracted his secret weapon. In between high-pitched laughter she surrendered, "Okay, okay. I'll tell you."

"You're too much, Aaron." She sighs, "I am a princess. Or rather, was a princess. Every little girl's dream, right? Well it's not all cracked up as it's meant to be. On top of all the countless hours of studying, I wanted more than anything to go to a magic school. I mean, it's my one dream, to this day. My parents, especially my mother, disapproved when they heard about the massive corruption that was spreading. Even banned one from being created in our kingdom. But this didn't stop me, I only practiced in secret. A few times they would find my wand, and they'd take it away and burn it. That's when I learned about signing. I knew my parents couldn't take away my fingers, so I studied even harder to become one. Eventually they found out, because that's what annoying-parents-who-don't-give-you-any-privacy do. I knew some sort of big punishment was coming, and I didn't want any part of it. I was tired of being treated like an outsider in my own family, so. . . I just ran. I ran until I felt safe enough to practice. And everyday I did. One night I fell asleep in the woods you found me in, and in the morning I was found by the fae. I told them my little story, and they adopted me. Taught me a few things and took care of me. Sure it wasn't a castle, but it was home."