Chapter 3

Weeks of training fly by. Months pass. Almost a year under the tutor of the great Ellis, and Aaron has barely improved. They start to doubt Aaron's gifts and lean toward the belief that Ellis was mistaken. But as a final test Ellis calls for his disciple: "Boy, come here."

A slightly more masculine, near sixteen year old boy steps into the master bedroom from the kitchen. He replies, "Yes, my master?" He cleans off his butter-covered hands with the dirty rag from his hind pocket as he approaches Ellis, who motions him to sit on the chair across from his bed.

Trying to make himself look presentable, he tries to dust off his mud-caked clothing while Ellis stares at him contently.

"I feel you are ready, Aaron, my boy." Ellis chuckles proudly, as he stares at his greatest accomplishment yet.

"Ready for what, sir?"

"The next step of your training. I need a heart. Not just any heart. One that is strong and will be put through a ceremony, giving me the strength of what the owner had." The boy's face paled, as if he became a ghost. This caused the elderly master to laugh. Laugh until he chokes on his own saliva. Each cough drives Aaron away from his sudden fright and towards curiosity. He tilts his head and goes over to aid his teacher, but Ellis waves him off. The old man wheezed, "Your job, son, is to get me a heart of a certain creature. This is a creature that will use its deceit to trick you for its life. Be wary. You must return with the creature, or die trying. I will show you how to obtain power beyond your wildest dreams."

The boy nods in awe, eager to see what wonders magic can show. But the curiosity continues to grip him. He looks up into Ellis's eyes and asks, "Master, if not my heart, then who's?"

His grin grows wider as Ellis responds, "A child. One who has as much, if not more, magical potential than you."

"But master, who?"

"Someone. . . who is dangerous. Someone you must remain diligent around if you do not want to fall under this monster's spell."

********

The words of his master lingers in Aaron's head as he journeys southeast, towards the land of forests. Outside of his home of Telshic. Aaron has never been out this far. And Aaron has never had to swat so many flies out of his face before today. Even the pig pens filled with feces had less pest than this.

Cssh, cssh, csh. The grass beneath his feet give into his weight. A trail of green, sunken footprints follows the hormone-filled adolescent. He's on the hunt. For a fae, nonetheless. The Fairy of the Forest.

His boots squish in the watery mud, as he makes his way over the dried, fallen tree. In his hand, he clenches a golden compass, close to his chest. His master had called it a "moral compass" though it had nothing to do with morality. It is meant to help a hunter.

A light vibration from the compass becomes barely noticeable, but is still enough to cause Aaron's heart to beat faster. She is near. As quickly and silently as possible, Aaron ducks behind a tree and waits. Nothing. The arm of the compass jerks and turns from black to blue. She's getting closer. He waits. Nothing. The point of the arm turns red. Closer. He waits. Still nothing. The entire pointer soon becomes red, and so does Aaron's face, from holding his breath. Right as he raises his arm to strike the compass into the dust--Laughter.

He peers over the side of the trunks. A silhouette emerges, blocky and large. Aaron braces to see the beast he is soon to make prey. The trick of light begins to fade as the silhouette shrinks to half its size and half again. Soon Aaron is able to make out the shape of what he's hunting. His jaw drops.