Chapter 2

He knelt beside my bed and reached for my hand. I was expecting him to pull out a knife or something and give me the pain I deserved, but instead, he just held my hand like if he held it any differently, it would shatter.

Then he spoke. And his voice was gentle and warm. "Would you mind if I pray for you?"

"Pray?" I barely croaked.

"Well it's when I talk to my God about anything I want. Can I talk to him about you?" I didn't see the point but I was afraid of what would happen if I said no.

I nodded.

The man bowed his head and said, "Dear Lord, I'm asking you to heal this girl and show her your grace and mercy. Please give her your peace and comfort her. In Jesus's name. Amen."

I just cleared my throat and he looked up. I realized that I had made eye contact. But I felt that it was okay... His eyes were like his voice. Gentle and warm.

"I'm James by the way. I'm the one that found you."

"You found me?"

"Yeah. I was on duty and heard a crash and I found you."

"So... Where am I?"

"In the hospital. You'll be here for a few more weeks. You're injuries are uh... pretty bad."

"Oh."

"Do you have any family or friends who should be notified?" Then, he had a notepad and pen, ready for me to tell him that I had people who cared about me.

"No."

"No? No distant cousins or anything?"

"No."

"Um... What about your name? Do you remember that?"

"Yes. My name is-" I paused. What was my name? Sugar. NO. What is my real name? "Kaylie."

"Do you remember your last name?"

"I never had one." I didn't like these questions. They were making me go back to the beginning. I had just managed to block it out and now this James was wanting to know my name.

"Do you remember-"

"Yes. I remember everything. And that's the problem."

He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off. "Can that be all for today?"

"Yes. I'll come back and see how you're doing tomorrow, okay?"

"Alright."

The door closed behind him.

I let out the breath I'd been holding. NEVER. In ANY circumstance had I EVER spoken to a man that way. And he listened! It was a foreign feeling. To be heard.

I allowed the sounds of my hospital room to lull me to sleep. I felt in control for the first time in my life. And it was nice.