Chapter 3

*James's POV

I was at the hospital every day for 2 weeks. Some days Kaylie was asleep, others she was awake but blankly staring at the wall. After a lot of examinations and tests, it was discovered that she'd been raped multiple times, drugged, stabbed, shot, and who knows what else. She didn't talk much, but when she did, the pain in her voice made it clear that she could remember every part of her life. Kaylie would have nowhere to go when she was discharged. Tests had shown that she was only 19. Too old for foster care or adoption...

I had considered letting her stay with me. It would be a lot of work, but the force offered to still pay me as a part of Witness Protection or something. So I would still be getting money and be able to pay my tuition...

*Kaylie's POV

One more week. That was all that I had left in this weird, wonderful place. They fed me, they made sure I was as comfortable as possible, and they kept me in a room all to myself. The only downsides were all the tests they did and questions they asked. James came to see me everyday. Sometimes I pretended to be asleep so he would just hold my hand and babble on about his life and things. When I was awake he occassionally tried to ask me questions about my life, just like everybody else. But I liked how he talked when I "slept". When he spoke about certain things his tone would change. Like when speaking of his childhood there was a soft note of wistfulness, His passion in life was psycology, which was why he was on the force. James was nice. 

I would miss all this. After my 3 weeks in heaven, I'd have to go back to hell where I belong. Nothing lasts forever, no matter how much I wish this freedom could...