One {July 23, 2010}

On the day One Direction formed, I remember it clearly.

It was the day, is all I could think. I could see Simon talking, he was discussing putting together a group of boys into a band. He didn’t know which boys though. While he did that, Nicole was thinking of a girl’s group. Later, I heard their choice.

“I think Harry had a wonderful voice to lead,” Simon commented, “And Liam would be wonderful to start songs, with his deep voice – especially that I’ve heard it in a higher pitch.” Simon said with a slight smile, “Then there’s Zayn, he had a strong voice, I could see it being boy band material. Louis has a feminine voice almost, it would add bit of a unique sound to them. Finally, Niall, he has the cheerful personality to bring a lively addition to performances. He also has a wonderful low voice, I’ve heard him rehearse. He especially sounded great singing that Justin Bieber song one time.” Simon said. “No not his song one time, but, never mind.” Simon rolled his eyes at Nicole, who was not laughing.

I remember fist bumping before running towards Harry’s room. I couldn’t wait to see Harry and Niall be together more often.

When I reached Harry’s room, I saw him chatting with Cher, a fellow contestant. He had that usual smirk on his face, which matched Cher’s girlish smile.

“So, are you hyped?” Harry asked, indicating tonight’s show. “No, I’m kind of nervous.” Cher truthfully said. “Well, you’ll do fine. I’ve heard you sing.” Harry said, rubbing Cher’s shoulder softly. “Thanks, your voice is great too.” Cher said. “Thanks,” And suddenly I could see Harry’s cheek turning pink, and his smile was more bashful.

Later that night

I stood backstage, ghostly standing behind Anne – Harry’s mom – and Gemma – Harry’s sister. Anne was tightly hugging Harry, I assumed it was a silent way of wishing him luck. Gemma had her fingers crossed, with a hopeful look on her face. Then I heard Robin – Harry’s stepdad – talking, as he walked towards his family. Robin side hugged Harry quickly, before ruffling his hair slowly.

“You’ll do great.” Robin said encouragingly to Harry. Harry only smiled softly, and nodded. “I believe in you, sweetie.” Anne said sweetly. “Yeah, little bro, your voice is amazing, who can say no.” Gemma said.

After Harry’s performance, he suddenly did not feel sure. He felt like he wasn’t going to be going past this point, but why? I could see the sad look on his face, as he slumped towards his family.

I could see Niall and his family, they looked the same way. The parents and brother were encouraging Niall, who looked sad after his audition. Niall’s mom, Maura, had a happy smile on her face, while Niall’s dad, Bobby, told a funny story. Niall’s brother, Greg, hugged Niall brotherly, showing him the love he need now.

*

I could feel the tension as the group stood on stage, hoping their name would be called. I could see nail’s being bitten and fingers crossed. I could see frown, and hear hopeful mumbles. I could hear deep breaths, and long sighs.

After the names were called, I could see Harry’s sad face, and slight tears rolling down his cheeks. The remaining group was standing on the stage, waiting for their time to leave.

I could see Niall crying hard, sobbing almost. He was wiping his watery eyes, as he walked off the stage. I could see his family members waiting for him to reach their open arms. I saw Bobby grab his son as soon as he was in a near radius of him. Niall sobbed into his father’s chest, wiping his eyes occasionally. Maura rubbed Niall’s back, while Greg stood there with a sad look on his face.

“I can’t believe it…” Niall said, wiping his tears sadly. “I thought I’d at least make it past this round…” Niall muttered.

“Don’t worry Niall, you did your best. All that matters is that you tried and achieved something.” Maura said, softly stroking her son’s hair.

“Okay mum.” Niall whispered, wiping the last tears.

*

Later they were called back. Five boys, four girls. Niall and Harry were two of those boys. Niall nervously bit his nails, something he always did apparently. Harry crossed his fingers hopefully. Everyone had a nervous look on their face, with hopefully eyes.

“So…” Simon started heavily, “We have been thinking…” And everyone’s eyes went nervous, “You’re all too good to let go,” Everyone’s heartbeat slowed down, “And we decided…to put you in groups.” It took seconds to recognize what Simon said, before the young ones all looked at each other curiously.

“Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik and Niall Horan, you will be a boy group.” Simon said, “As chosen by me.”

“No, me.” Nicole argued Simon.

“Phish-posh.” Simon said, rolling his eyes.

While Simon and Nicole argued, the five boys hugged each other. They were strangers, being put into a group. Although, Louis and Harry met, while Liam and Niall also met each other previously. Zayn was the only one who did not really know anyone. Harry grabbed Louis, hugging him, as he was the closest. Niall grabbed Liam, at least he knew him. Zayn smiled in happiness, with all the nervousness gone.

“Oh my god!” Harry said loudly, “Wait…we’re a boy band then?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Louis said.

“I like boy bands.” Niall commented.

“I never liked them.” Louis said honestly.

“What? But Justin Timberlake is cool.” Liam joked.

“Yeah man…” Zayn said, joining the conversation finally.

“Wicked accent mate.” Niall commented, after hearing Zayn’s accent.

“I like yours too, Irish.” Zayn joked, chuckling.

“It’s Niall, and you’re…Zayn?” Niall said, placing his hand in front of Zayn’s to shake.

“Yes, I’m Zayn.” Zayn said smiling, and shaking Niall’s hand politely.

“I’m Louis!” Louis yelled loudly, scaring the four boys.

“No need to yell, shorty.” Liam joked. “I’m Liam.”

“I’m Harry.” Harry said, in his unusually usual low and slow voice.

“Nice to meet you all.” Niall said cheerfully. He didn’t think he’d be cheerful, he thought them being called back was to be yelled at, or some sorts. “I can’t believe we’re still in here…” Niall commented.

And who knew that wouldn’t be their only happy day?