Chapter five

Alex's POV

"Alright, so today we will be meeting with the Princetons." Washington declared, as he pace in front of us. This was our third football practice now, and we had heard enough of the Princetons from Washington. He kept blabbering about how they were our main competitor, and how we're going to beat them and all that. We all sat on the bleachers, while we wait for them to show up.

Soon, a bus finally pulled up, while many kids piled out of it. I turned to look at them, as they made their way to the bleachers. Two kids were stood aside, standing beside each other. One of them glared at all of us, while the other had little note cards in his hands that he whispered.

Everyone continued to talk, while their coach and Washington conversed. Finally, the leader of whom seemed to be on the other team stepped up. "Hello." He said, in a heavy British accent. "As you know, there is a football game soon coming up." He mumbled, and looked at Washington, "And as the history is, the Princetons will w-" Washington instantly stepped up, interrupting him. "We are gathered here today, to just get an understanding of each other!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands together. The other man rolled his eyes in response, then crossed his arms.

Washington kept going on and on about the same stuff he always talked about, "So today we have a little speech from one of the Princetons." He said, smiling and stepped back only to be replaced with the boy with the note cards.

He looked up at everyone and smiled, "Hello. My name is Samuel Seabury, and I am here to present free thoughts on this football game. "Please take notice of the past, and how the Princetons have won many times, but this means nothing! We will all be playing fairly and squarely." He said with a small smile, my eyes narrowed. How could he talk about this? He's literally a Princeton, and from what I've heard they're not too nice, and here he is talking about playing fair.

"Now, we won't let our differences separate us, like being on separate teams, and we would not like a repeat from last year..." He mumbled, his voice fading. My eyes narrowed, and I turned to face John who sat beside me. "What happened last year?" John shrugged, he had a grin on his face and he looked at me. "There was a huge fight, a Princeton ended up in the hospital." I stared at John, before I turned back to Samuel.

"Now, this game is very dangerous even without the small feuds. Please do not stray away from your team however. We will pray that if you do, the captains will give you their mercy." He murmured. I glared at Samuel, and started doing the imitating talking thing with my hand, earning laughs from John.

After Samuel had been done talking, we were all aloud to roam around and talk to the other team. I instantly made my way to Samuel John, Lafayette, Hercules, and even Burr following me. Once I was up to him, his back was facing me, and I grabbed his shoulder and turned him making him face me. "What the heck was that speech about? That was the most cringing speech I'd ever heard. You were all over the place with your words."

Samuel simply shrugged, "I didn't write it. Coach George King did. Thank you very much. But, if it were me writing it I'd like to point out more of the fact that you've guys had always lost. You've never won, and it's been what.. five years?"

"Four years." John instantly corrected him, earning a glare from Samuel, and John just put his hands in the air defensively.

"Hmph." I scoffed, "Doesn't mean we won't kick your butts now." I said with a small smirk, "That was before I moved here, and all the stories I've heard so far have been corrected. All of you guys are just stuck up rich kids." I said with a small shrug.

"Psht. You're just jealous you couldn't make it in." Seabury responded casually, making me get more angry. It was true, but he didn't know that it was actually the truth. I could tell it was just him trying to push my buttons, and he succeeded.

"As if!" I started, "I don't even want to go to your dumb school!" I shouted, and everything went silent. I instantly noticed, everyone was staring at me. Washington let out a little sigh, "Well, I think that's been enough. Thank you so much for all coming here." He said, clasping his hands together. I rolled my eyes, and the other coach quickly gathered up all the kids from the other school.

Soon the all filed into the bus, and the yellow bus drove off. Washington sighed, "Anyways, so now we need to start appointing positions. We will be needing a team captain, and a mascot." He murmured, walking to the group of us.

I stared at Washington, the name captain instantly sparked my interest. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I bet they got respect, and I knew I wanted that position. "I'll take the captain spot." I said, earning weird stared and little chuckles.

Washington shook his head, "No, Hamilton. I will chose the captain after I've seen how you all are. There is also always the mascot." He murmured with a small shrug. "The cheerleaders help dress up the mascot." I heard somewhere whisper to me, and turned to see Burr was the one who had said it.

I shrugged a little, and looked forward. "I'm more interest in the captain." I said casually, while Burr just walked off. "In one week, I shall decide the positions." Washington grinned. "And I wish each and one of you the best luck."