Chapter 16

Holidays for the Hogwarts students had come to an end and the Weasleys, Hermione, Harry, and Anna were saying their goodbyes before heading off to the station.

Anna wasn't ready for the holidays to end and face the reality that going back to Hogwarts had to offer. At the same time, seeing the beautiful castle and its hundreds of staircases was exactly what she needed to get away from the dark hallways of Grimmauld Place.

She would miss the Weasley's and her Dad but she knew she would be seeing them soon enough again.

Anna sat in the kitchen with Hermione finishing the last bit of her cup of tea when her father entered the room.

"Anna, come with me," Sirius said, motioning for her to follow him to the vacant room where they would always talk.

Anna followed her father down the hall into the room where they then stood across from each other. Anna waited for her father to speak while he shoved his hands in his pockets and rocked a bit on his heels.

She knew he was dreading being stuck in this dreadful house by himself and she also knew very well that he would miss her a lot.

"So.. you're going back to Hogwarts..." Her father broke off for a moment before continuing "where there's OWL's, Umbridge, lack of education, and danger...are you excited?"

Sirius' face broke into a smile. It was one of the smiles that made Anna the happiest she had ever felt. It was one you only could see every now and again after how long her father had spent in occupation with the Dementors at Azkaban.

They both shared a laugh and Anna said, "Well when you put it that way...of course I'm happy to go back."

"Are you sure? I mean, a lot's changed, you know? I feel like it's almost just...not worth it at this point?" Sirius chuckled nervously.

The tension was starting to rise. Anna wasn't exactly sure what her father had meant. Was he suggesting that she didn't return to Hogwarts?

"Dad, what are you trying to say?"

"I don't think you should go back to Hogwarts," he blurted out with Anna's eyes widening as realization hit her pretty features. "Okay, that's not how I meant to say it. It's just that things have changed so much, and I'd feel a lot better with you staying here or at the Weasleys."

Anna couldn't believe she was hearing this. It was bad enough she missed most of her third year, yet alone another one.

"Hogwarts is fine-"

"You call that attack 'fine'?!" Sirius replied incredulously.

Anna was starting to feel rage surge through her body. In her opinion, this was completely irrelevant.

"The attack wasn't because of Hogwarts!" Anna exclaimed but Sirius shook his head.

"Yes, it is! The Ministry is trying to run Hogwarts and they're taking away the safety of the school! They don't give a damn about you, Anna. All they care about is trying to keep Voldemort's return a secret, and you're a threat to them. They'll never help you because they couldn't care less about you!"

His words stung and he knew it, instantly regretting it as her eyes widened. Anna had to agree with most of the things he had said about the Ministry but surely the Professors who aren't Umbridge's biggest fans would keep them safe. It shouldn't matter too much either. Anna could keep herself safe and she has friends; friends who wouldn't let her die without a fight or on her own.

Anna's eyes narrowed when she delivered a worse truth.

"Or maybe you're just trying to get me to stay because you're so damn lonely in this house! Well, guess what, I'm not your babysitter! You're the one who's meant to be the parent. You got to go to Hogwarts, why shouldn't I?!"