Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning early.

A fuzzy blanket covered my whole body, I was snuggled up like a burrito. My mom must've done that when she came home from work. I was still wearing yesterday's clothes. What a great feeling. With a sigh, I stretched my arms above my head. At least I got a nice sleep.

I got out of bed, took a hot shower and changed my clothes. I sneaked out of my bedroom and to the kitchen, my mom probably still asleep. After a nice cup of green tea and a buttered toast, I still had some time left before school. Naturally, I took out my sketchbook. Doodling aimlessly I found myself drawing two piercing eyes, looking straight to your soul. My mind immediately flashed to yesterday's evening on the pavement. The eyes of Ian Reed. I abruptly closed my sketchbook, throwing it into my backpack. What the hell was I thinking?

To clear my head, I decided to walk to school today. The streets were slowly waking up, people getting up for a new work day, some of them already leaving their homes to start their day. I dragged myself on the sidewalk, lost in thoughts when I heard a car driving next to me on the road. A shiny red convertible with two girls inside. Monica and Nancy. Monica, a black haired, green eyed bombshell was the school's most popular girl. And a total bitch. Nancy, a petite innocent looking blonde was her sidekick. Innocent looks on the outside, meanie on the inside.

"Missed your bus, ginger?" Monica called after me and they both laughed. I chose to ignore them. She was seemingly disappointed with my reaction, because she stepped on the gas pedal, and with the sound of screeching tires drove away, leaving me in a cloud of fumes. Wow, really classy. What a beautiful day this is already, I'll be reeking like an autorepair shop for the rest of the day.

I arrived to school just in time for my first period, English lit. I can't say that I like the subject in particular, but I am a serious bookworm, so it's one of my favorites. We're reading The Great Gatsby in class. It's not like I haven't read it a thousand times already. With a sigh I pulled out the book and tried to pay attention to the teacher. Mr. Pierce kept talking about the symbolism in the book, dissecting it into tiny little details. I don't think F. Scott Fitzgerald would appreciate it. I bet he wrote the book as a pop culture bestseller at that time and decades later we're contemplating about the meaning of all the little things like it's a big deal to the story.

My stomach grumbled. I can't wait for lunch.

*****

I sat down at my cafeteria table and glanced suspiciously at the food on my plate. Is this unidentifiable mess supposed to be beef stroganoff? Oh well, so much for my hunger. I was picking at my food when I heard a commotion behind my back. I turned to see Monica, obviously bullying a freshman standing in front of her. She was a pale looking girl, with platinum blonde hair and big, blue, scared eyes. I didn't hear what Monica was saying, but the group of students that gathered around them burst out laughing. The girl was visibly upset, tears starting to pool in her eyes, as she looked down at the tray she held, her hands shaking.

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I got up and walked quickly to the girl's rescue. Once I got to her side, I locked her arm with mine, pushing her to the side. "Finally, you made it! Our table is just right there in the corner." I exclaimed, pulling the girl with me, away from Monica.

Monica huffed and rolled her eyes. "Of course the losers are sitting together in the corner."

I didn't turn around, my eyes fixated on our table, completely ignoring her insult. But the pale girl turned around, her mouth gaping in shock a single tear escaping her eye.

"Boo, our little baby is crying! Should I call mommy for you?" Monica spat out and the students burst out laughing again.

The girl dropped her tray instantly to the ground and bolted away, ignoring the mess she left behind her.