Compromise.

I snorted and rolled my eyes, “Sweetheart, I think you’ve got the wrong girl.” I shifted in my seat, running a hand through my hair.

                “I know I don’t.”

                “You do,” I corrected, “Because I haven’t had neighbors for as long as I can remember.”

                “I used to babysit you. You were five, and I was twelve.”

                “Look.” I reached over, resting a hand gently on his leg. It was quite obvious he had me mixed up with someone else, but this boy seemed utterly convinced I was who he was searching for. I took a deep breath, trying to explain it once again. “I may look like this girl you’re searching for, but I’m not her. I’ve been living on the streets for the past twelve years. Before that I was in foster care, jumping from house to house.”

                “I know but—”

                “I’m not who you’re looking for, sweetheart.”

                He ran his fingers through his hair. “Humor me then. You are Hanna right?”

                Hesitantly, I nodded. He was both right and wrong. My legal name was Hanna. But I wasn’t that girl anymore.

                “Hanna Evergreen?”

                I nodded again.

                “The same Hanna Evergreen whose father died in a car accident when she was six, and whose mother currently resides in the county jail?”

                Anger boiled under my skin. I clenched my teeth, holding back my fists. I didn’t know who he thought he was, but this was scaring me.

                He grabbed my wrists, sensing that I was about to burst. “Don’t get mad at me. I’m here to help you. Hanna, you don’t want this life.”

                “You don’t know me!” Jerking my hands back, I climbed off of his lap and reached for the door. Before I had a chance to, the locks shut; I was trapped. “Let me out!”

                Fear began to replace the anger as I realized the situation I was in.

                “No, Hanna, you’re going to listen to me first.” His voice was stern. It reminded me of a drill sergeant.

                “You can’t make me!”

                “Damnit Hanna, stop!” He grabbed my face, pulling me toward him. “I’m not going to hurt you! I just want to talk to you!”

                I tried to pull my head away, but his strong grip held me in place.

                “I won’t hurt you and in an hour you can go.” His voice was calmer now, despite my continuous struggling. “Please, Hanna”

                Taking a deep breath, I ceased my attempts at freeing myself. My body began to shake with silent sobs. A lone tear fell down my cheek. I was terrified. How was I to know if I would make it out of here alive?

                His thumb rubbed away the tear. “No, no, sweetheart, don’t cry. Shh, please, Hanna”

                “Please stop.” I whispered.