The Martian [Review]

The Martian by Andy Weir

Book Description:

arrive." (It cut off the word arrive.)

Main Characters:
Mark Watney: Funny. Likable. Positive. Smart. A Botanist. Clever. Hard-working. Dependent. Genius.

Writing:
I liked the writing, and it was nice to have a change from usual book format. This book is mainly from the point of Mark Watney's log book on Mars, kind of like journal entries. But every once in a while it will skip over to a third person view of either the space ship, Mark, or most commonly what's happening on earth. The writer was funny and I think he did a good job of mixing science with humor–however, beware because this book is really scientific.

Warnings/Cautions:
There is a lot of swearing in this book. And there are a few vague mentions of sex.

Overall Opinion:
I liked it, but it wasn't great. I think the humor was amusing, and I was fine with all the science, but I didn't quite 'get' Mark. He was alone on Mars but he never showed any signs of depression or sadness, it was just all about the next joke. He was incredibly light-hearted, which didn't seem realistic to me. His log was more of a nerdy blog than a dramatic survivor's guide.

Star Rating:
★★★
3/5

Favorite Quote(s):
"Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape."
-Mark Watney, page unknown

"If a hiker gets lost in the mountains, people will coordinate a search. If a train crashes, people will line up to give blood. If an earthquake levels a city, people all over the world will send emergency supplies. This is so fundamentally human that it's found in every culture without exception. Yes, there are assholes who just don't care, but they're massively outnumbered by the people who do."
-Mark Watney, page unknown

Rebecca