Prologue

Stefan Salvatore had a grace period in between the lines of his emotionless bloodlust and his devouring guilt. Lexi Branson, practically his only friend at the time, had helped him get back on his feet, and then she introduced him to the most astonishing woman. By far, the woman had outdone Katherine. Not only was she beautiful, a confident aura bubbling around her, but she was kind and caring.

She kept had kept Stefan standing for long enough to hold him there, but she'd fallen multiple times while doing so. She fell in and out of danger, and left him behind for his own safety. She was weak, and small, almost too sweet to survive, but when she left him, she had to learn. She thought herself to be burdening Stefan, but she was ironically his savior.

Her name was Trista Lane.

When she had been by his side, Stefan's life seemed so much easier than it is now. Today, he's saving his new girlfriend from a random vampire who liked how she looked like Katherine. Yesteryear, he was being saved by Trista. Now, he's happy with Elena and she keeps him from drinking all the blood in town. Trista used to help him in such a way.

Stefan Salvatore undoubtedly loved Trista Lane still, yet he was in love with Elena Gilbert.

The girl Stefan used to know didn't return to Mystic Falls on founders day, but Tris Lane did and she sure did look like his Trissy.