Chapter 8: Little Disruption

Author's note: Not edited. Sorry if there is any mistakes.

By the early hours of morning, I was at the candy shop as I had been instructed. The weather was sassy bearing a fuzzy air which made my nose itch. The pavements were bedewed and with wilted brown leaves pressed to the path.

Upon reaching the shop, I beheld four or five carton boxes stacked on the floor. My vision ascended and I saw Mrs Patmore's enormous body bouncing about the store in search of something.

"Aye, lass you're here! Well, all these came here" ------she pointed at the boxes------ "you know what to do."

"Yes, Missus Patmore," I mumbled.

She found a coin from beneath the counter and a gleeful grin spread across her lips. She slipped it in her pocket and then fixing her hat, waved at me and exited the shop in her usual rush.

I shrugged my coat off and prepared to work. First, I loaded the candies in the boxes in their respective places. It took me a while to clean all the containers and jars. After folding the cartons, I grabbed a piece of cloth and went outside to clean the large window that was foggy due to the damp autumn weather. The glass squeaked under my hand as I rubbed it to and fro. Done with the window, I took out the broom to sweep the front of the store.

The shutters of the other shops sounded one after another as I struggled with the cleaning. The broom wasn't really working since the pavement was wet and the leaves were sticky. Still I managed to pile up them in a place.

The street slowly started to spill busy people; school children, nuns, businessmen and such. I stopped my broom and gazed around me for a bit. My eyes captured Sharon, the flower shop's receptionist, among the rush of people, walking down the road to her workplace. For some unfathomable reason, I looked away as if trying to avoid eye contact. She didn't know what I had witnessed the previous day but still I felt embarrassed to have done it.

I carried myself back to the shop and waited for a customer.

Four hours later, there was not only a customer, in fact, there were several. Apparently, it was someone's birthday. And a lot of the townspeople were attending the party. People of all ages came in and I suddenly had to learn the art of wrapping gift boxes. The sale was good and I couldn't help being glad. I also noticed an increase of customers in the flower shop across the street. Being overly curious now, I asked one of the customers what special occasion it was. In reply, he said it was the mayor's son's birthday. And the guest list was large.

Of course, it was related to the mayor. He had to show off his grandness now and then. I mentally rolled my eyes and bade the customer farewell, requesting him to come again, with a plain expression.

The gentleman departed and at the same time, an unwanted brat entered. A quiff of gold and brown slid into my view. I wasn't surprised really by his sudden arrival. Rather, I had expected it after we had our jovial adventure to the winery.

"Morning, Estelle."

Don't be the wasp to get close to the fire.

"Morning."

"Seems like you have loads of customers today, aye?"

"Yes," I answered without looking at him and got busy with arranging the chocolate packs which to be honest, were already arranged.

"So are you free tonight?" I saw him resting his elbows on the counter from the corner of my eye.

Don't be the wasp to get close to the fire.