Chapter 9: Like A Forgotten Dream

My feet were so cold. Almost numb to the point where it scared me. I didn't know when I had started running. But I remembered the thought sinking inside ever so gently yet when it reached the bottom of my mind the effect was horrifying.

I was unforgivably late.

I jogged down the street, my hair frantically flying in all ways and my half-buttoned coat flapping. I was looking like garbage. I knew because I had checked myself in a hand mirror this morning. When I had realized that I had to go to the candy shop, I almost jumped in horror and hurriedly grabbed my coat and rushed outside without even combing my hair. My head was heavy and there was a constant throbbing at the back. In addition to that, I had a sharp sour taste inside my throat. So in a nutshell, I wasn't really in a grand condition.

I pushed open the shop's door and my eyes fell on the wall clock. To be exact, I was two hours late which worried me since my employer always had to leave the shop as quickly as she came. But today, there was a different air around her. She stood behind the wooden counter with her arms rested on it, in a manner so usual; like a normal owner waiting for a customer. I took my steps carefully for this could have been the calm before the storm. My mind was unable to make an excuse because I didn't have any.

I couldn't remember a single thing from last night.

The more I tried to think, the more my head hurt.

"Sweet Mother of God, what happened to you, lass?" Her thin voice shot a dart of buzzing pain right through my ear.

"Nothing... I'm sorry I'm late today," I softly delivered and went around to grab the broom.

"It's okay. I've already done everything."

"Sorry." I muttered and padded to the counter beside her and buried my face in my palms.

My stomach growled. I swallowed hard and it felt like someone just scrubbed sandpaper inside my throat. I knew we didn't keep water in the store but I still helplessly searched around. Failing to find any, I decided to buy a bottle of it and shoved my hand inside my coat pocket to check for untouched change. The cold metal coins caressed my fingers as I reached them. I grabbed all of them, trying to figure how many were there and then released them back after discovering there was enough.

"Missus Patmore, can I go outside and buy myself water. I'm parched."

"Sure, lass. Be back soon." She nodded.

I squinted as I stepped outside in the daylight. The slight brush of sunlight pinched me hard. There was a general store just three shops ahead and I headed there.

I didn't find water. What I bought was pumpkin juice.

Pumpkin juice? I flinched when the owner had stated it. But my throat reminded me of its horrendous dryness as soon as my tongue rejected the thought of buying it.

Thus, I was chucking down the bottle of pumpkin juice on the way back to my workplace. I thought of eating something since I didn't have breakfast but then discarded the idea.

In the opposite side of the road, I saw him readying his bicycle with baskets of flowers strapped in the back. Our eyes locked and he half smiled but soon it collapsed. I didn't endeavor to spare any gestures and simply went back inside the shop.

The day rolled by and I was surprised to find Mrs Patmore by my side all the time. When asked, she informed that her eldest daughter had come back from the city and she was taking care of everything.

I sighed and looked at the time. It was well into noon and Mrs Patmore rose up from a bar stool she was sitting on and announced, she was going home for lunch and would be back by closing time. I nodded in response. Before leaving she said, "Oy lassie, why don't you have a slice of cake or a muffin from 'ere, eh? You look miserable."