Chapter 3: Morningstar

(September 5, 2017)
(8:30 A.M.)
(Morningstar High School)
1,124 students enrolled
School Colors: Grey and Yellow
Mascot: Mockingbird

Allison's first day of school has arrived, she enters the school and wanders through the hallway, curious and alone. Class is just about to begin as students socialize and make their way to their first classrooms. Allison continues to stroll down a pathway, slightly shaking. She keeps her head down low as she holds her book between her arms. Examining a map of the school layout in her hand, she seems to follow a set of directions, leading her to a brown wooden door. She breathes in and out.

This is it. Time for new beginnings.

Allison hesitates as she reaches for the doorknob. A girl with black smooth hair and cute red glasses approaches behind her, with a pencil in her left ear and books in her right arm. She smirks.

"That's the boy's bathroom by the way. Just thought I'd let you know."

Allison is surprised by the girl's remark, and also by her taking notice to Allison.

Allison: "Oh! I had no idea..."

She pulls her hand away from the door, as the girl points out the obvious men's bathroom sign above the door. Allison sighs with embarrassment. Flustered, she replies:

Allison: "Thank you..."

The girl chuckles.

"Close call there."

She chuckles and looks inquisitively at Allison.

"You new around here?"

Allison's cheeks blush a rose red. Embarrassment fills inside of her.

Allison: "That obvious?"

The girl points to the bathroom door and sign.

"Considering you were about to walk into the land of untold stories, yeah."

They both giggle.

Paige: "Paige Turner, lead journalist in the Mockingbird Message. Nice to meet you."

She smiles genuinely at Allison as she extends her arm out to greet her.

Allison: "I'm Allison."

Allison shakes her hand with delight. Paige pauses for a second, examining Allison. She scratches her chin.

Paige: "Does Ali work?"

Allison shrugs, not knowing how to respond.

Allison: "Yeah sure, no problem I guess."

Paige: "Hey, it suits you pretty well I'd say."

She fixes her ruby glasses.

Paige: "So, what brings you to Attwater? I mean, coming in during the school year? That's some bad timing."