Chapter 10: A Dark Ride

(The Kline's House)
(2nd Floor, Tyler's Room)

Tyler Kline paces back and forth in his bedroom, rapidly packing sets of clothes into a backpack laying on his bed. He takes in uneven breaths, struggling to pace himself. A home phone lays on his bedside table, along with a picture depicting him, Andrew Bizaal, and other individuals around their age in front of a larger than average house. The home phone beeps.

*BEEP!*

"YOU HAVE 3 NEW VOICEMAILS."

Normally, Tyler would delete the messages without hesitation. But seeing as the boy is frantically running around his room, as if on a time limit of some sort, he has no choice but to listen.

*BEEP!*

???: Lillian here! I know your parents are out of town and I was wondering if you needed a place to stay. We've missed you and Andrew's late night video game sessions. You can always hang out back at the group home. We're here for you."

Tyler chuckles at Lillian's email. Her soft and gentle voice takes him back to good times, fond and simple. The times where the most he had to worry about was kicking Andrew's ass at an action-packed video game. His attention wanders off from his frantic packing as he attentively listens for the next few voicemails. He plops himself on his bed, wrinkling his sheets.

*BEEP!*

AJ: "Hey, fifteen messages and you haven't said a single thing. This isn't like you."

*BEEP!*

Guilt is shrouded over Tyler's face as he listens to AJ express his concerns over the voicemail. His best friend, yet he's in the dark of what is going on in Tyler's life. Tears are shed by Tyler,

AJ: "Listen, I don't know what's going on but there's something I really need to talk to you about."

"YOU HAVE NO MORE MESSAGES."

He sighs. His eyes are drawn to his black wristwatch, a gift given to him the day he was adopted.

10:00 A.M.

Notified by the time, Tyler leaps towards his bedroom window. Looking below, parked in his front driveway is a black car with heavily tinted windows. He smiles, as if he was expecting this car to be present. Before heading down to the main floor, he takes one last glance at his bedroom. Memories filled over the years seem to fade away in his bedroom. Tyler frowns, as this may be his final look at the room he grew so accustomed to over the last few years. As the faint sound of a revving of an engine travels through his ears, Tyler snaps out of the sentimental trance. He quickly rushes down the flight of stairs with his heavily packed backpack swung over his shoulder.

He leaps off his porch steps as he fast walks towards the car with his belongings. The car sits under the shade of a tall oak tree, rustling in the light wind.Opening the passenger door, he tosses his possessions onto the black leather on the back seat as he slides into the passenger seat. He exhales with relief.

Tyler: "Thanks for coming... I knew I could count on you."
Tyler directs his comment towards a mysterious figure sitting in the driver's seat, their identity concealed by a black hoodie. The figure wears jet black gloves as they hold a cell phone in their hands, texting an individual unknown to Tyler.