Chapter 9: The Third Degree for First Degree

(Principal Fitzgerald's Office)
(9:30 A.M.)

The two teenagers, Andrew Bizaal and Claire Bellami are seated inside of the principal's office, waiting patiently and quietly. In an utmost awkward situation, there is a space, the length of two chairs, separating Claire and Drew. Drew taps his feet in a rhythmic beat to the ticking of an analog clock while Claire sits with her arms folded, occasionally sighing to herself. Other than that, it is pure silence between the two individuals.

*Tick Tock. Tick Tock*

Drew glances over at Claire. He looks at her for a second before clearing his throat, hoping to attract her attention. She looks over at Drew with a dull eyed look, clearly uninterested in whatever he has to say.

Claire: "What?"

Drew: "So, did you do it?"

Claire's eyes seem to narrow at Drew, confused by the direction the conversation is going.

Claire: "Excuse me?"

Claire watches in annoyance as Drew intently rolls his eyes at her. 

Drew: "Do I seriously have to say it out loud?"

Drew heavily sighs.

Drew: "Goddammit."

He takes a deep breath in.

Drew: "Did you kill your best friend?"

Claire looks appalled. She leans back in offense to. Drew's question.

Claire: "Oh my god, what kind of question is that?"

Drew shrugs dramatically, clearly imposing sarcasm. His tone of voice is also filled with sarcasm.

Drew: "Oh I don't know... The kind of question that the man with the shiny badge will be asking you in a few seconds?"

The conversation pauses.

Drew: "You know, I honestly wouldn't care. Nobody would blame you."

Claire scoffs at Drew and rolls her eyes.

Claire: "Say that when somebody's behind bars for getting a little knife happy."

Drew: "From what I know and heard, she was awful towards you. Vanessa a total bitch."

Claire shakes her head back and forth in denial as she bites her lip.

Claire: "You obviously know nothing about her then."

Drew's eyebrows raise. He slightly chuckles, humored by Claire's statement.

Drew: "Is that so?"

Drew smoothly slides one chair over, closing the awkward gap between him and Claire.

Drew: "It seems to me that nobody at this school knows a single thing about you."

He leans into her and whispers into her left ear. His tone is accusatory.

Drew: "That is, except me."