..1..

Sexy Sadie, what have you done?
You made a fool of everyone.

Sexy Sadie, what have you done?You made a fool of everyone

Friday, October 18, 1957

The air was cold and crisp as it whipped against my face and curled over my knuckles as I tried to hide my fists inside my sleeves. It seemed unusually cold for October, but maybe that was because I was running. I clutched at my scarf around my neck as my feet pounded against the pavement, not daring to look back. If I looked backwards, I might slow down, and then he might catch up to me. My leg muscles were already aching, but I would run for hours if it came down to it.

"Come back here, you bitch! You owe me!"

He sounded too close for me to feel comfortable. I willed my legs to work harder as I ducked my head down. Glancing up, I saw a turn ahead and considered darting across the street. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury, and took the corner instead. As I whipped around it, I nearly crashed into someone. I spun, trying not to slam into him on the narrow footpath. I failed rather spectacularly, tripping over his leg and falling forward onto the pavement. I fell onto my hands, instantly feeling the throbbing in my wrists that I knew wouldn't fade quickly. As I fell, the bundle of clothes that I had been holding under my coat rolled out and a few coins clinked out of a pocket onto the street.

"Shit," I muttered, reaching for the bundle of my belongings.

Unexpectedly, the boy I had all but smashed into crouched down and started gathering up the coins to return to me. I stood, looking frantically for somewhere to hide. I knew my pursuer would come around the corner any moment and I couldn't run from him anymore.

"Hold on," the boy said, gesturing at the coins. "You forgot your--"

"Keep it," I said, starting to move away. "I don't have time."

"Wait," he said. "Come this way."

He reached for my hand and pulled me to an alley just down the street. We ran between a pair of houses, then hopped a low fence that lead to a backyard. We crouched behind it and watched between the posts as the man I was trying to escape came sprinting by. He looked perplexed. Clearly he had been close enough behind to see me duck down the alley with a stranger, but not close enough to see our next move. Once he had passed, I let out a breath and started to stand up. The stranger grabbed my wrist and pulled me down. I was quiet, despite the pressure he was placing on my already injured wrist. I winced silently and looked at him. He held a finger to his lips, and I listened.

I heard quick footsteps coming closer, back in this direction. I found myself holding my breath again.

"SADIE!"

He was practically screeching. His voice was full of malice and ferocity, and I sunk lower to the ground, pressed myself closer to the fence. I wondered if the kind stranger noticed that I was shaking, keeping my head down but ready to keep running at any time if necessary. He screamed my name again, and I could hear what must have been the gate to another house's yard rattling as he shook it.