1 - Something New

Summer Hayes

I allowed my finger to push the enter key on my laptop before I slouched back on my huge gorilla plush toy and sipped my coffee.

I had just finished sorting out my summer break by booking Vanessa, Sylvia and me places at a nice camp called Camp Sunshine. Not a cheesy name at all, especially for adults.

We would leave in 4 months but you could never be too early.

I set my coffee on the small mahogany table next to my bed.

I closed my eyes slowly and attempted to drift off to sleep. Images of us in our bikinis splashing around in a hot pool began to form in my mind. Cute boys in swimming trunks made their way over in the sexiest fashion, with their dark hair fluttering in the wind. Their six-packs were tanned and they flashed their perfect teeth in delight.

I feared that if I daydreamed any longer I could wet myself. Fortunately enough, I was snapped out of my trail of thoughts by my mother's head popping around the door.

"Summer, Sylvia and Vanessa are downstairs. Should I send them up?"

Sylvia had been my best friend since
Friar Prep middle school. Coincidentally we were in almost every class, except for Home Cooking, which was probably a good thing considering neither of us can actually cook.

We had instantly clicked with childish things like loving the same boy band, liking the same guy and wanting the same hairbands. She was a sucker for makeup and clothes and I was layed back and simple. Perfect, no?

As for Vanessa we were cousins. There were 13 cousins in the family altogether. Me and Vanessa had the closest age gap with only 3 months between us. Maybe that's why we get along so well or maybe its because were constantly talking about hot guys and summer holidays, which was exactly what we were going to do today.

"Sure mom, send them up. Oh and do you think you could bring us up some snacks, specifically chips.", I requested hopefully.

I see her roll her eyes and slowly walk over to my long black curtains.

"You know, Summer, you could really use some colour in this room. Wouldn't you like a theme like mine. A nice beige colour scheme?" my mother questions.

I sigh in boredom, hardly believing she would bring this up again.

"Mom, for the last and final time, I like my room this way. It's my room, isn't it?"

My mom pulls strands of her hair behind her ear as she looks down at my floor, almost disgusted. She wrinkles her perfect nose as to wonder what on earth would make a young girl like me pick such a horrific color.

I peer down to investigate as well. The black wood looks superb in my opinion although the price wasn't cheap, as wood doesn't come in a perfect black.

Mom then elegantly makes her way to my dresser which is a light blue and looks into the mirror, touching her chin and investigating her eyes.

Her face was perfect. She was the Belle of all balls. Her short blonde hair suited her perfectly and lips were the perfect colour to complement her deep rich blue eyes. The figure on her was to die for and her height was perfect for a woman of her age. She was one of the perfect angels.

She could have totally been a model if she wanted to, any company would have immediately accepted her.

I admire her as she adds little touches of cream that she found in my drawer, to her chin and forehead.

"Mom, could you leave please? And tell the guys to come up, oh and don't forget the chips!" I say, annoyed.

"Alright then. But this conversation about your room is far from over" she chirped with an innocent smile.