5 - Sleep

Summer Hayes

"Ouch" I squeak, as Vannessa shoves the light from her torch in my face. 

"Sorry. It's a bit bright, I know, but that's good I guess," she replies looking at the gate suspiciously. It definitely looks too high to jump over, or even help each other climb up. With the help of Vannessa randomly flashing her torch everywhere, I spot a small dent in the bars from the corner of my eye. I shift a little closer to it. It looks like someone has tried to break in before as two bars have been forced away from each other to provide a gap. It looks big enough for us to squeeze through, but not our bags. I attempt to shift away but Vannessa catches me and skips over. 

"Have you found something?" she asks, but she's already seen the gap so there's really no turning back at this point. 

I let out a heavy sigh, barely believing that we're actually going to do this. Sylvie follows Vannessa and without any hesitation, she skillfully slides through the gap and hops out the other side, taking a bow. Vannessa then spins around and throws her torch to me and tries to hop through space too. She doesn't do it as perfectly as Sylvia, as they haven't got the same figure, but she makes it without hassle anyway. Sylvie and Vannesa sprint forward, obviously very into this so-called "Operation Break-In"

"Come on slow coach!" Sylvia yells at me, "I think I can see campfire or something from here!"

"Sylvie, I'm still on the other side, there's no need to yell at me," I mutter in annoyance, trying to squeeze through the gap as well. I turn to my side and try to get through too. The last thing I needed was to get stuck. Once I was through, I turned and tried to find my way. I flashed out the torch but it only provided a light so bright it was almost blinding. I decide to just run in the direction of what seemed like a campfire. 

I sprint forward, kicking over rocks, snapping dry twigs and probably squishing old chewing gum. I continue racing, not wanting to get lost in a forest I hadn't been in before. Soon I started huffing and puffing, my pace slowing down. I'm just taking long strides and I've figured that I'm lost.

Perfection.

"Sylvie!" I scream loudly in the dark, in the slight hope that she might answer. 

"Vannessa!" I turned slowly, keeping vigilance of my surroundings and suddenly feeling my heart beginning to pound in my chest. I spin around again, hoping that my friends would have come to look for me. Everything that wasn't moving before had gained energy and I began to feel as if the shift of earth around me was spinning.

"Sylvia?!" I say once more, but a lot quieter this time, backing up against a tree. 

I crawl up against the tree and scoot down to the ground. I hunched up my legs close to my chest and rested my head on them. My long brown hair was getting in my eyes because of the wind, but I didn't care about anything at this point. I allowed my fingertips to smoothly skim over the ground, feeling the dirt and leaves. Surely there was a rational way to solve this without having to become one of the wildlife?

I think about the current situation at hand. I was lost in a forest, without anyone knowing and I had no idea when or what to do. Lovely.

I was just considering becoming a member of a wolf pack when I began to smell smoke. Not the common cigarette smell. It smelled of fresh wood and perhaps freshly cut grass too. I turned my head slightly, in the direction of where I thought the smell was coming from. I see a fire, alright. However, it seemed a lot bigger than the one Sylvia had seen earlier. This one was bigger and there were some figures standing around it. One jumping up and down and waving what seemed like a yellow bandana in my direction.