Chapter Two

He’s standing in the doorway with a loaded bow. What the hell is going on? He shoots, and I hear the sickening thud of the arrow hitting its target. The wolf howls and collapses on top of me. I throw all my might into throwing it off of me. I lay there and it turns to a pile of dust. I gasp for air and feel the tingling of my blood circulation coming back. Caleb rushes over to me. He lays his golden bow down on the floor next to me.

“Ellie,” he says in a panic, “are you alright?”

“Don’t call me by my nickname,” I reply, “And what the hell was that?” he flinches when I say hell as if I said something that clearly insulted him.

“Hades,” he mutters under his breath, “we need to talk.”

“No,” I talk back stubbornly, “we have to find my mom.”

“She’s safe,” he reassures, “She is being flown back.” He lends me his hand and I take it. Right now, I am utterly confused and scared. I just saw a mythical Greek creature in a Catholic church. I’m pretty sure that I have officially gone bonkers. He picks up his bow and straps it to his  across his shoulder. We walk out of the church and I am so disoriented that I have to take a seat. That’s when I realize how bad my arm hurts. I look at it and wince. Caleb takes my hand and I cry even louder.

“You probably broke it,” he sounds almost unconcerned, “here you go.” He hands me a square of something out of his bag. “Ambrosia squares,” he says, “it will make you feel better.” I plop the yellow squares into my mouth. They taste like my mom’s chocolate cake. Caleb giggles softly.

“What?” I ask.

“Nothing,” I glare at him, “What did it taste like?”

“My mom’s chocolate cake,” I say savoring the taste, “The one you really like. Why were you laughing at me?”

“Your eyes lit up for a second.” He looks at me and moves a strand of my straight dark red hair out of my face. I stand up. My mind keeps running the question of what happened today. I can see some of the people from church coming back around the building. I hear sirens in the distance and sigh with relief. They are going to explain everything to me. They are going to tell me why the hell I saw a hellhound. I feel so safe already. Of course, that’s when Caleb grabs my hand in haste.

“We have to go,” he blurts out nervous, “Now.” I follow him.

“Caleb. What are you doing? The police are going to help me. CALEB!” I scream at him.

He turns around facing me, “I will explain, just come with me.” I trust him and follow him to the back of this ancient building. We stop at the corner. He whistles loudly and I here wing flapping. I hear something behind me. I turn around hoping it’s not another hellhound. Just a door and a wall. When I turn back around, there are two horses in front of me. Wait. Are those horses? They have wings. I gasp in excitement and rush to pet it. I make sure it’s comfortable with me and knows who I am before I jump on. Caleb helps me up. I swing my leg over.

“Umm,” I say completely lost, “How do I fly it?” I pet down his soft black fur. 

“The names Blackjack,” someone says to me.

I look around confused. I decide to ignore it. The Pegasus props his wings up and takes flight. I’m so stressed out that I didn’t realize how tired I was from that fight. I quickly drift off.

____________

Laney here,

So I'm going to go through this later and edit it. Most likely when I'm almsot finished the book.  So this is going to get better I promise. Rick Riordan's a troll, eh? 

~Laney

PS, if you follow I follow back. :)