Chapter Six

I walk through the winding hallways until I reach the stairs, dismounting myself to reach the lower level again. I notice nearby that the game of dares that Harry had pointed out is still going. Harry…

                I am so furious. As soon as I spot Willa’s shining heels and Niall’s blond head in the group, I take that as an invitation to join the game. Harry thinks I’m a prude? Worthless? Annoying? Well, I’ll show him a side of me he’s never seen before. A side that I’ve never seen before.

                “I’m joining the game”, I announce to anyone who’s listening. There’s just over ten people sprawled along the couches in front of the fireplace, and my eyes catch onto the familiar faces of Zayn and Louis, again. I wonder again about them, how they got invited, what they’re doing here… who they know here.

                “Great!” Niall responds to my presence, moving over so I can kneel in between him and Willa to join the circle.

                “Can I have a drink?” I ask Niall, and his bloodshot eyes bore into my sober ones. He hands me a bottle of liquor, and I begin swigging it, first slowly, then with bigger mouthfuls. After a while, Niall unlatches the bottle from my grasp.

                “Okay I think you’ve had enough!” He laughs, bringing the bottle to his own lips. I stare as his lips manoeuvre the mouth of the bottle, filling his throat with the stuff before it escapes into his body.

                “Sharing is caring”, I say, reaching for the bottle again. My voice has slowed to a slight slur, but my mind can still form coherent thoughts.

                Niall laughs and reaches for an empty cup behind him on the table. He fills it a quarter full with the alcohol, then the rest a fizzy kind of drink. “Try that.”

                I take a swig of the cup, allowing the sweet taste to invade my tastebuds.

                “This is good! What is it?” I ask. My throat burns with the sickly aftertaste, but it feels electric. My body tingles with the adrenaline as the concoction slowly fills my veins.

                “Cherry rose spirit with vodka”, he smirks, nodding at my approval.

                “It’s good”, I repeat.

                “You already said that.”

                “I know.”

                We start laughing, really hard, and I have no idea why. I’m so confused.

                “Who’s this?”

                Niall and I both flick our heads up to find everyone staring at us. I realise that Willa’s been trying to hand me the bottle of wine, announcing it’s my turn for a dare.

                “This is Jordan”, Niall says to the unfamiliar face, who looks like he’s in control of the affair as he sits well in the middle of the circle.

                “I’m Tom”, he smiles at me, and I smile back. “So, what is Jordan’s dare going to be?”

                “Be warned. I just had to go and dack someone at every group”, Willa leans into me. As I look around the room, I notice a few people adjusting themselves with hostile glares towards us. I burst into laughter at the ridiculous dare. I can’t believe that these people are in college.