Part 12: It Depends on the Situation

"It's 1:35, I don't think we'll make it to the park until the machine shuts down," I said. "It's my fault because I wanted to meet with that boy that I'll probably never see in my life again."

"Forget about whose fault this is, if Jamie wants a waffle, Jamie will get a waffle, let's go!"

"Jamie, it's practically impo-"

He grabbed my hand even a bit harshly and said:

"Run!"

I was scared that we'd get hit by a taxi or that we'd bump into a lot of innocent people but none of that happened. I just couldn't feel my legs and I almost tripped over my own step.

"Jamie," I said in between breaths. "Jamie, I can't-"

"We're almost there!"

I actually got the Mission: Impossible theme song ringing in my head.

As we ran down the stairs of underground crossroad, I almost tripped again. I was pretty scared; God knows for what - either that I'll be declared dead by tripping over my own leg or that Jamie isn't such a funny guy because of behaving like this. I mean, it is a waffle that we're talking about, but people, you need to have some boundaries.

We reached the waffle machine on 1:54. And it was just about to shut down.

"Hello, I'd like to order-"

"I'm sorry, we've already closed," The waffle guy said.

"You're not closed yet, your windows are open."

I was breathing heavily and my vision was getting a bit blurry from the head spin.

"I told you. We're about to leave."

Jamie took his head into his hands and sweared silently.

"Look, mister," I said, still not getting my breath back. "He," I pointed at Jamie, "dragged me down all the way from the Milton street just to get your waffle. We've almost got hit by a taxi," Okay, that's just for spicing up the story, "I tripped over my own legs for two times and I still can't get my breath back. If I were impolite, I'd demand you to sell a waffle to this guy, but now, all I ask of you is to get into this damned waffle truck and sell the waffle for a doubled price if you wish."

I breathed out after I blurted this all stuff to the man's face.

"Guys, I'm sorry," He shrugged. "Here, have these for free. I didn't know that people might be willing to get hit by a car or kill their girlfriends just to buy a waffle."

"We're not-" We both started saying that, then looked at each other and stopped; just decided to let it go.

"Thanks," I said and bit my waffle.

"Nothing to be thankful for," He smiled at me and turned to Jamie. "And you, keep an eye on her. Geez, all for that waffle."

He drove away in the waffle car.

"So at least we both got waffles," I said.

"I'm so sorry, Lilly, I should've seemed like a psychopath."

"Actually, yes, you did," I laughed. "But it's okay, we all desperately need a waffle sometimes."

"I'll still be embarrassed about it."

"Well, be then. I brought some study stuff as you said you'd like to hear something about psychology," I changed the subject.