Chapter 3

He answered fast, his deep voice coming through. "Velvet, what the hell happened?" I coughed, blood spurting out of my mouth and fell onto the carpeted floor, sighing. "Assassin. Must've been the father's bosses. Messed up the place, but I got him." Hans stayed silent for a moment, then spoke. "Identify him?" I grabbed out the identification device I had on my belt, scanning his face and letting it go. It dinged, and I looked down. "Jack Kanes. 32. Was an assassin for ISIC. Makes sense. We got some information, so look him up. I think we got something here." Hans agreed. "Alex is on his way." The call ended, and I heaved up, falling onto the bed and rubbed my blurry eyes, my greasy hair scratching the back of my neck. I had waited for a few more minutes, slipping off my tall boots, and the front door opened, Alex running through. "Velvet, are you alright?" He grabbed me bridal style and walked out, setting me onto the counter and tracing my cheek softly. I nodded, sighing again, but louder. "Yes, just a little bit of damage." I coughed. "No biggie." Alex grabbed the first aid kit in a cabinet, grabbing out a first aid pad, and rubbing alcohol, coating it and rubbing it on my cheek, making me yelp loudly. "You're a 10 year trained assassin, I think you can handle a little bit of pain, Em." His sudden use of my real name made me surprised, clearing my throat. "Shush." I bit back, and he did the same procedure again, then cleaned it thoroughly, placing a thin bandage onto the cut. He rubbed my knee softly, then handed me a water bottle from out of the fridge, and I took a few sips before setting it down next to me. "So what happened?" He pulled up a tall chair, sitting in front of me and slipped off his golden glasses. "A man ringed my bell, looked like a man maid and I got immediately suspicious, so I opened the door and told him I didn't need cleaning, and he suddenly opened the door with his foot. That's when the fighting broke out." He nodded while listening, ruffling his black fluffy hair. I suddenly spoke, not expecting myself to say it. "Your hair looks so soft.." I coughed again, covering my mouth and looked to a different point of the room. He laughed, smiling that perfect smile, which made me blush. He put his head down low in front of me, and offered for myself to pet it. I bit my lip, hesitant but pushed my fingers through it, sighing at the sudden feeling of safeness, and ran my hands through it more, then taking my hand back. He put his head up, grinning from ear to ear. "We need to get back to headquarters. Hans says we have a lead." I nodded, then went to my bedroom. "Where are you going?" I yelled back. "Changing!" He scoffed. "You need to be in proper uniform." I rolled my eyes, shutting the bedroom door. "I don't care." , opening the door and we both walked out and downstairs, getting inside his sleek black Mercedes Benz car. "I got a promotion." He smiled brightly, staring at the road in front of him. I gasped, laughing and hit his arm playfully, him wincing and chuckled. "Why didn't you tell me Alex! Congrats!" I kissed his cheek for his promotion, and he suddenly blushed bright red, biting his lip. "What was it for?" He parked, speaking softly at me. "Rank 10." "That's amazing Alex!" We walking inside headquarters, the lady in the front desk opening the doors to the elevator, well knowing who we were, and we stepped inside. It brought us up to level 5, and we walked inside Hans office. "You needed me?" I asked, Alex and I sitting down in front of his desk. He had a hard look on his face, turning his computer towards us. "Your uncle." Alex and I looked at each other, eyes widened. "What. The. Hell."