four

"are you having fun?" i asked taeil as i watched him play with the dogs.

"of course! this is the best job ever," he smiled brightly.

"yeah, but you aren't getting paid. don't forget that," i reminded him.

"i don't mind."

"you should get a dog of your own," i suggested.

"i'd like to but my roommate said that if i got a dog, I'd forget the rest of the world exists. he's not wrong though," he said.

"you have a roommate?" i asked.

"yeah, i should introduce you to him. i think you two would get along."

"i don't think that's a good idea," i said.

"what? why not?" he asked, confused.

"why would you introduce me to your roommate? you and i aren't friends."

"yet. i think you meant to say we aren't friends yet," he said.

"what makes you so sure that we'll ever be friends?" i raised an eyebrow.

"i like you. i'd like to spend more time with you and eventually become really good friends. doesn't that sound nice?"

"maybe," i gave him a small smile.

"do you live alone?" he asked.

"hell no. if i lived alone, how would i pay for everything? the only thing i do for money is walk these dogs," i laughed.

"who do you live with then?"

"i still live with my parents. it's cool though because my dad is usually away on business trips and my mom works all day so i have a lot of time to myself." i said.

"you don't go to school?"

"no, i always hated school. i promised myself i'd never go back."

"oh, i understand. i wasn't a big fan of school either," he said.

"do you have a job?" i asked.

"yeah, i work at a convenience store close to here." he answered.

"when do you go to work?"

"i work the night shift during the week. i have the weekends off," he smiled.

"oh, that's nice. you should try to get me a job there so i could stop walking dogs," i laughed.

"nah, i'm good."

"aw, why?" i pouted.

"if you stopped being a dog walker, i'd never see these guys again," he said, bending down to pet the dogs.

"i can't be a dog walker my whole life."

"why not?" he asked.

"i need to get a real job soon so that i can buy my own place and pay for everything myself."

"you could just marry someone that will take care of everything," he suggested.

"there aren't a lot of men out there that are willing to do work all day and pay for everything while their wife stays home and walks dogs occasionally," i said.

"i'm sure you'll find one," he patted my shoulder.

"yeah, whatever."