Chapter 1

I looked up in the mirror one last time, just to make sure I looked okay. I was wearing one of my favourite shirts and a necklace my grandma gave me a few days before she passed away. My grandma and I were really close. I would go to her house every Sunday and we would play cards or watch Americas Got Talent. She passed away 7 years ago because of cancer, I miss her so much.

Today was the day that my mom brought me in on one of her cases at work. At first I was really excited, but the feeling slowly disintegrated and was soon replaced with nerves.

The case today is a 17 year old boy who's been kicked out of his house. He's been into heavy drugs and getting into numerous fights. My mom as the head director of children's aid gets to interview him. Which means I do too! Great...

As I'm eating my cereal, I'm getting kind of curious. My thoughts take over and I'm in my own little world pondering over my thoughts. This boy who's on drugs is close in age with me. He's 17, I'm 18. He probably lives near here, what if I've seen him before? What if he went to my high school? What will he act like? What if he tries to hurt me? What if.. Im snapped out of my thoughts by my mom waving her hand over my face.

"Becca, Becca, Rebecca are you there". My mom snaps her fingers in front of me, to try to get me out of my trance.

"Ya, ya sorry, I'm here" I shake my head.

She gives me a confused expression with a smile, but shrugs it off.

"Let's go, were going to be late. Work is a 20 minute drive from here".

"Okay, I will meet you in the car" I say as I put my bowl in the sink and grab my bag.

I'm wearing:

http://www.polyvore.com/chapter_outfit/set?id=125852451

I slip my shoes on and run out to the car when I hear my mom honk the horn just about 50 thousand times!

Why is she so impatient? I can't say much because I'm pretty impatient as well, but not nearly as bad as her.

About 10 minutes into the drive she notices me starring off into the sky getting lost in my thoughts again and asks "Are you okay?"

I give her a confused look and she finally says "You know, with interviewing this boy with me".

She can read me like a book!

"You know I would never make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing right?" she tells me with concern in her voice.

"Mom I'm fine, trust me".

We wait a few seconds and then she says "Okay, just let me know if you need to be escorted out of the room"

Wait what? Escorted?

"Why would I need to be 'escorted'" I say and exaggerate on escorted.

"Well this boy has been known to get into lots of fights and he's been with these drug dealers that the police have been searching for, for 8 months now. They keep moving locations, so the police can never keep up with them. They are always one step ahead of the police. Anyways that is confidential information, so I can't tell you anymore. But that is why there will be other men there just in case anything happens. This boy is pretty dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt." I think she noticed the worried expression I held on my face as I gulped.

"No hunny, I'm sure nothing will go wrong, everything will go as planned. We're just going to interview him then go, you won't ever have to worry about seeing that boy again"! I go to talk but the words don't seem to come out of my mouth, so instead I just nod, give a fake smile and turn to face the building that has now appeared in front of us. Oh boy, this is going to be a long day.