chapter 1

It was May of 2020. I had just moved back in with my mom for the summer and my cousin came down. My cousin lived right next door to us, and everyone in the neighborhood i knew because i had grew up with them. My cousin says to me, "How long you here?" I replied with a smile and said, "I'm here for the whole summer."

   Then out of no where this guy starts walking up my cousins driveway, which is connected to mine, and screams, "Evan." We both look towards him. My cousin shouts back at him, "Lewis, I'm down here." He was referring to being down at my house. Lewis was this hot 18 year old boy who my cousin had been going to school with. They had rode the same bus until Lewis graduated that summer. He was wearing an old FFA shirt from the previous year. Just so happens that i was wearing my FFA shirt when he walked down to my house.

    Evan introduced us that day. He introduced Lewis as, "Lewis, my redneck best friend from the bus." He introduce me as, " Jessica, his cousin." I looked at him like, really you couldn't think of anything else other than I  was your cousin. He returned the look. Lewis said, "Howdy." I thought to myself, "A country boy." Then I replied to him with a wave.

    Evan was called inside for a little bit and left me and Lewis together outside at my picnic table to talk. There was a silence for a moment or two. "So, where you from?" Lewis said out of no where. I looked at him,and i didn't want to leave him hanging, so i replied back to him, "here, I'm from here." Another minute of silence rolled by then I asked Lewis, "How long you been living here?" "About six or seven years." I smiled. "What?" Lewis asked. "Oh nothin." I said. "Its just my mom and I moved in about eight years ago and I've never seen you around here before. "Oh." Lewis said. "So, how did you get to know Evan?" He asked in a curious way. I very awkwardly replied back to him, " Well I'm sure you know that he's my cousin, but along with that he is very over protective of me.

       Evan popped his head out and said, "I'm sorry y'all but i have to leave. Jessica are you comin' to my birthday party tomorrow?" I answered, "I don't know, I'll try to be there." Lewis blurted out, "I'll be there." So I turned back around to Evan and told him I would come. Then Evan left, and my mom called me inside. "I guess that means I have to go?" Lewis said sadly. "I guess so. Hey when you get home add me on Snapchat and we'll talk.

    Lewis went home. Turned out he didn't live but two streets over from my mom's house. When I got the notification that he added me on Snapchat i smiled a little. I added him back, and we talked about everything from what color we liked to who we liked. That night my mom got mad because I  was talking to an eighteen year old boy at four in the morning. So, I told him that I was getting tired because it was now Saturday, and I had been up since 6 o'clock Friday morning. That was the first time I have talk to someone for that long. Especially when I had just met them.