Damon Salvatore - Just ask

"Get out!" You pulled up your legs and wanted to pull the blanket you were sitting under over your head when you heard the door opening. You didn't care who it was. You didn't want to see anyone. You just wanted to sit on the couch with a pint of ice cream, Netflix and a box of tissues. If you picked the right movies, you didn't even have to explain to yourself why you were crying.

"Nope. I never cared much for doing what I was supposed to do, so I think I'll stay." Damon had walked into the living room and was checking your book case. He hadn't been here before. You had always met at his place, or at the Grill. It had been easier that way. "Come on, don't tell my you've actually read all of these..." He pointed at your collection of romance novels you had inherited from an aunt and didn't want to throw out.

"Some." You frowned. "And I don't see why that's any of your business. I don't want you here. You're the one who walked out on me, remember?" Damon was the last person you wanted to see after you had a fight at the Grill. It had been ugly. There had been screaming. You might have even thrown your glass of beer over him and somehow you had been surprised he hadn't been retaliating after that. He had just stood up and left. You hadn't wanted him to. You wanted him to tell you he still cared, even when you were fighting. You wanted him to turn around, just before he had walked out of the Grill, but he hadn't.

"If you had asked me to stay, I would've...", he admitted when he turned away from the book case and faced you, the smirk you had expected after his remark about the books gone. "I can do a lot, Y/N, but I can't read minds. I don't know when you mean it if you tell me to piss off, if I remember the exact wording." He did have a good memory... because that was exactly what you had yelled at him.

"So now you decide to sneak up on me when I don't expect it?" You barely knew what you wanted. You wanted him to sit down next to you and allow you to snuggle up against him, but you also were tempted to throw the remote at his head for barging in on you like that. "You were still an asshole for not telling me you fed on that girl. That hasn't changed."

He shrugged. "Maybe I'm just a dick. Always have been, always will. But I'm sick of doing everything alone my entire life, Y/N. So I just took the risk that you'd throw anything solid you could find at my head. Besides...", he started laughing. "I think I'm far enough away to be able to duck everything." Then he crossed over to the couch and sat down, one leg folded under the other. "I can't promise I'll never do anything like that again, Y/N. That's who I am. I am a vampire and not one who can live on blood bags for the rest of my life. But I know I care about you and I never noticed how much until I was standing on the other side of the door at the Grill. Give me one more chance?"