Crash (6)

"Tessa wake up!" Quentin yelled next to me.

I sit straight up "what's wrong?" I see him holding Levi with tears streaming down his face.

"He-he's not breathing." 

I take Levi from him and try to burp him, he's so cold. "Go call 911." He ran downstairs and I grabbed my phone and called my dad. "Can you come watch the girls?"

"It's seven in the morning what's wrong?"

I started crying "Levi isn't breathing."

I hear him get out of bed "we'll be over in five minutes. It'll be okay Pumpkin."

I hang up and pull him close. I feel a part of my heart break and fall off. This can't be happening. Quentin runs back in the room on the phone telling the operator our address. "They say to try and burp him."

"I have been!"

He comes and sits next to me "they'll be here as soon as possible. Keep patting his back." 

A couple minutes later I here the door open and close and my dad runs into my room with two EMTs following behind. He sees me and rushes over, pulling me into a hug. "It'll be okay." 

The EMTs lead me downstairs and into the ambulance. Quentin tries to climb in "sorry sir only one parent can come with."

"That's bull!" He kisses me "I'll be right behind you guys I promise." He jumps out and runs to the van.

We speed off and the worker in the back starts asking a whole bunch of questions "when did he stop breathing?" He takes Levi from me and starts doing CPR.

"I don't know? The last time I fed him was at five this morning."

"Did you burp him after?"

"Yes! Of course."

We pull into the ER and rush inside. They take him into a room and force me to wait out in the waiting room. Quentin runs in and pulls me into a hug. "Where is he?"

I point to the room "they won't let me in. He made it seem like it was my fault." I collapse into his arms. We fall to the ground and he doesn't let go of me. Everyone's staring, but I don't care.

The doctor comes out and sits on a chair next to us "I think we should talk in private." He helps us up and leads us to his office. We sit down "which side of the family has a history of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?"

Quentin and I look at each other "we don't know? What is that?"

The doctor sighs "it's a condition where the heart's muscles become abnormally thick."

Quentin starts getting annoyed "but what does that mean? Why wasn't that found when he was born?"

"The thicker the heart's walls, the harder it is for the heart to beat. Levi didn't have the strength. HCM is not something we generally scan for."

I lean closer "you just said he didn't have the strength."

"We estimate he passed away at six thirty." I fall back into Quentin's arms and cry the hardest I've ever cried. 

Quentin completely goes blank for a second "what about our other kids? Do they have this?"

"I recommend you bring them in as soon as you possible can to get tests ran." He stands up from his seat. "I'll give you guys some privacy." 

After he leaves Quentin wraps his other arm around me "he was perfectly fine when I fed him. I'm sorry I should have noticed." I cried into his chest.

He pulls me away slightly "it wasn't your fault." Tears start to stream down his face.

"I should have noticed" I whisper and he pulls me close. 

He gets a text on his phone, at first he doesn't check it but after about twenty minutes he looks at it. "Tessa."

I sit up and wipe my eyes "what?"

"You're dad texted me." He starts hiccuping from crying so much.

"Are the girls okay?"

"It's Donna..."

I stand up and start pacing "No no no this can't be happening." 

He grabs my hand and pulls me into his lap. I feel like crying but I have no tears left. "Her nurse called trying to get a hold of us." He tightens his grip on me "she passed away at six this morning. She's with him baby. They're together it's okay." I feel warm tears fall onto my hair. 

The doctor comes back in "do you want to see him before we send him to the the morgue?"

Quentin nods his head and helps me up. We follow the doctor to the room. Laying there way too still is Levi. My baby boy. The one who was perfectly fine three hours ago. I slowly walk to the bedside. I lay my hand on the side of his face. He's cold. Too cold. I bend down and kiss his cheek "please wake up." I whisper too him. 

Quentin comes over, kisses his forehead, and whispers "Grandma Donna will take good care of you." He turns and pulls me into a hug. Eventually the nurse tells us we should go, so he picks me up and carries me to the car. When we get home he helps me to the door. 

We open it and right away the girls run and hug me. "Where were you mommy?" Oaklee says brushing hair out of my face.

"Where's Levi" Mavis says in a soft voice. 

My dad rushes over and picks them up "who wants to have a sleepover at grandpa's house?" The girls get excited and follow Gena across the street. He turns to me and pulls me into a hug "I'm sorry Pumpkin. I'll have Paris come over alright?" 

He leaves and Quentin helps me to the couch. I'm out of tears, instead I sit there frozen. How could the baby I carried for nine months be gone? Paris runs in and sits next to me. She pulls me close "I'm so sorry." I wrap my arms around her and stay quiet. 

Tanner walks in and tries to hug Quentin, but he pushes him away and runs out of the house.

*Quentin's P.O.V.*

I climb into my car and speed off. Anywhere is better than there. Next thing I know I'm pulling into Breanna's driveway. I climb out of the car and frantically knock at the door. Five minutes later she opens it in her robe "what's up?" I fall into her arms as tears stream down my face. "Come in come in." She pulls me inside and we sit on the couch. I lay my head in her lap and cry as she rubs my back. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Without saying a word I sit up and pull her in for a kiss.