Chapter 4

Noctis's POV

I am well aware of the future that has been set for me, and I didn't need a constant reminder about it and I didn't mean to snap at Ignis but when he called her a distraction it hit a nerve that I didn't know I had. I watched her from time to time, and it got me thinking on as to why do I make all this effort just for someone who I've just met literally a few hours ago?

What is it about her that pulls me to her?

Is it the song that she sang that reminded me of Mother?

Was it her voice?

She smiled after helping a few students having trouble with something.

Why does she smile so much?

Melody suddenly looked his way. His eyes widen, surprised that she saw him, and he just gave an awkward little wave which she replied with a smile and waved back before going back to her work.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

I looked across me toward Ignis; Gladio was looking for another book to read whereas Prompto when to one of the computers to serve the net. He knew so much about me, there was no use in lying to him, but I didn't want him to keep putting me in my place even though I know that he's just looking out for me.

"I don't think I want to talk about it" in an attempt that I know won't shake him off.

"You may not wish to talk about it, but I can see from the way you behave that this is having some sort of an affect on you Your Highness, but allow me to ask, why?"

I wished I had the answer to that question.

"You have never cared to pursue or take interest in any of the ladies that have tried to come close to you all these years, and here comes one who just started joining our fine academy about a couple of weeks ago and you're actually chasing her."

"Believe me, I'm lost for words as well."

"What about Lady Lunafreya?"

"What about her?"

"Doesn't she make you feel the same way as to Melody?"

I gave it a thought. I've known Luna since we were just kids after spending a long time there for my recovery after losing my Mother. There is always some sort of an attraction that I feel towards her; more like an obligational feeling that I need to always protect her.

"I will always protect her if that's what you're asking Ignis."

"That point I'm sure you've made, but what about other emotions?"

"Why are you asking me all this Ignis?" I felt exhausted all of a sudden.

"I may seem stern to follow orders Noctis, but I am also your friend-"

"Brother." I corrected him.

All four of us have been together for a very long time that the term 'friends' was not making justice with our brotherhood. A wise man once told me that they were not just my bodyguards, but are also my brothers. That term, brothers, left a deep impression on me and I know it did to the others too.

"Brother" he repeated "And because of that, your well-being and happiness comes has a priority to me rather than the rules that bounds you to this Kingdom."

I let out a long tired breath, I often felt pushed to my limits at times but I would never sacrifice my homeland, even if for my own self.

I looked over to Melody who had an amused look on her face as she talked to one of the librarians. There's this feeling inside of me that, if I'm being honest to myself, I want to explore. An urge that I usually would push away because I am not allowed to have them.