1

(Name) surveyed herself in the mirror and flattened a few lumps in her white blouse. Satisfied with its prim and proper state, she proceeded to pull the sleeveless cream sweater over her head. She slipped a red ribbon under her shirt's collar, tying it into a neat bow. Finally, she pushed her two arms through her black blazer. The young girl took a deep breath and observed her figure's reflection once more.

She'd somewhat styled her (short/long/etc) hair in a manner that she hoped would give her a certain visual appeal. Today was, after all, her first day in a new school, in a new country no less, and (name) (last name) was a firm believer in the importance of first impressions. She didn't feel ridiculously nervous or frightened of the aspect of a new educational environment however, for volleyball and other activities has offered her many occasions in which she'd learned to make new friends. But nonetheless, the girl felt an unusual bubbling in the pit of her stomach as she descended into the Shimizu family's dining room for her first meal of the day.

"Good morning!" greeted (name), bowing politely to Mr. and Mrs. Shimizu. They returned the greeting with warm smiles and invited their guest to help herself to anything in the kitchen for breakfast.

Upon her arrival into the said area, (name) spotted the dazzling Kiyoko Shimizu, who seemed to be in the process of putting homemade marmalade on a toasted slice of bread. Kiyoko noticed her presence and offered a small wave.

"Good morning, (last name)-chan."

"Oh please, call me (first name)," (name) replied quickly. "We're living together, and besides, I'm more used to people calling me by my first name."

Kiyoko nodded. "Then call me Kiyoko as well."

The dark-haired beauty picked up her breakfast plate and made her way to the dining room, leaving the space in the kitchen to (name). The latter glanced around the room and opened a few cabinets, but soon resolved to making the same thing as Kiyoko had. Although the Shimizus had offered for her to prepare anything she wanted with anything she found, the girl simply felt too nosy while searching around another family's pantry.

As she placed her two slices of bread in the toaster, (name) felt a hand rest on her shoulder. The (blonde/brunette/etc) gave a small yelp before turning to meet the tired gaze of her elder brother. Yuuto's hair was still disheveled from sleep and he wore the school uniform's upper half along with his pajama pants.

"What's for breakfast?" he asked, yawning into his hand. (Name) smiled and rolled her eyes.

"You have to make it yourself."

"Why?"

"Because you're not ten anymore, dummy."

"Last time I made eggs, I set a dish towel on fire," Yuuto reminded, chuckling fondly at the hectic yet amusing memory. His sister smiled, placing her butter knife into the dishwasher and grabbing her plate.

"Then have some cereal or something," she suggested.

"Mhm... Yeah, okay."

"And Yuuto?" (Name) asked as she began to walk away from the kitchen.

"Yes?"

"You might want to consider wearing actual pants to school."

***

"And here is the school," Kiyoko informed, pointing to a large building to her left. When the time to leave for school came, the girl kindly offered to show Yuuto and (name) the way to their school and the route to take to get there. The trio had taken two buses to arrive and the journey had been reasonably short. Kiyoko mentioned that she often took her car to get to school and informed Yuuto and (name) that she wouldn't mind driving them as well. The latter thanked the girl for her offer and elected to accept it, for taking the bus every morning and walking with crutches did not seem very pleasant to her.