The Lion's Den of Dysfunction

My mother was at the kitchen counter sorting the platters. The living room crowded with people dressed in black and having a good time. I remember my cousin Silas said earlier, the only reason our family came together was for free food and booze but dont forget they're celebrating an end to an era of tyranny. At that point i choked on my ice tea as he grinned. I couldn't object,  it was true.

Granny is not fondly remembered by anyone here. The old hag was on everyone's hit list, and if they had no hit list they made one after meeting her which would have her as most wanted. Im just surprised no one ever tried to kill her but knowing her. You would've been the victim at the end. She was mean as a snake.

It was getting suffocating in the living room, i ran to the french doors leading to our back yard. The scent of the heady lilies made me relax as i took in the scene of my cousins mingling on the grass with mocktails in hand and seem to be having fascinating conversations judging by their faces. It was animated with excitement, confusion and some with distaste as Silas was currently dancing on a chair, shaking his booty.

I felt for the first time, no need or the overwhelming sensation to bawl my eyes out. I was trying really hard not to laugh but then i caught Silas eye who at the moment was winking in an exaggerated manner. Shrieking laughter fled my throat and in horror i covered my mouth. My cousins just stood and stared at me.