Chapter one.

Dan

It wasn't like any summer morning in May.

The grass was damp and everything was quiet. The faint sound of a few birds singing was all that was left to be heard in the empty atmosphere.

My steps echo on the lonely highway and my eyes are locked on the ground. I put my pale hands in my pockets and yawn.

With every step I take, my bare feet scrape against the asphalt, digging further and further into my already ruined skin. I lift my hollow stare from the ground, up to the tall trees with grass green leaves. After a while of looking at the lonely tall plants, I stop walking.

The wind blows my brown curls into my face and I close the slight space between my lips.

Minutes of silence pass by, and after a while I start marching towards one of the smaller trees. When I reach the stem, I place my hands on the brown bark and start climbing.

My sore feet dig into the wood and my thin skeleton body embraces the tree desperately as I make my way up to a solid thick branch.

When I reach it, I swing my legs over the big tree-arm and lean back carefully.

''Peace.'' I whisper to myself as I close my eyes.

Suddenly, a cold unknown object presses against my shoulder and I turn around as quick as lightning.

Behind me is a boy in my age.

He has welkin blue eyes with gold specks around the iris. His skin is almost as white as porcelain and his hair as black as obsidian. 

''I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!'' he says and removes his hand from my shoulder.

After a moment of silence, the ocean eyed boy opens his mouth again.

''My name is Phil.'' He says and waits for a response.

''Dan.'' I reply and give him a questioning look.

The bird's singing is louder than before, and we both look up to spot a pair of small feather balls sat nuzzling next to each other.

''So, what brings you to my secret tree lair?'' Phil askes and giggles.

I stare at my dirty feet and shrug.

''I don't know, I just felt like climbing a tree, I didn't expect anyone to be here.'' I reply and force an awkward smile.

Phil nods and we're both quiet for a while.

''You know it's 2 am right?'' He asks and scoots closer to me to avoid falling. I nod and shrug for a second time.

My eyes meet his for another moment, and I bite my lower lip. All I can think about is how beautiful he is. So beautiful. His cheekbones looks like blades.

Suddenly Phil starts climbing down the tree and looks up at me when he reached the ground

''I must go, I'm sorry!'' he yells up at me and I open my mouth in attempt of asking why, but I stop myself.

A part of me wants to beg him not to go, but instead I replace my words with something more appropriate.

''Will I ever see you again?'' I yell at him as he starts walking away. He stops moving and turns around.

''Maybe, we'll see what the future has in mind, Dan.'' He giggles and waves.

I follow him with my eyes as he walks towards the sunrise, until all that's left to see is a silhouette of a tall person, bouncing happily as he walks.

I lean back towards the tree, processing the odd encounter I just had, and I decide that I should go home and get some sleep.

All i can think about as I'm lying in bed is Phil. Phil and his ocean eyes and wide smile.

Phil in his button up shirt and shorts. Phil that I just met a few hours ago yet it feels like years.

I've never met someone who doesn't know my secret yet is nice to me. All the friends i've had through the years just thinks I'm cool because I have something that no one knew existed. But Phil- Phil doesn't know. Yet he talked to me. 

My tummy feels pleasantly warm and I pull the duvet up to my nose. My mind slowly gazes off into a foggy sleep as i think of tomorrow.