Chapter 3

We were able to make it further away, Hailey and Carl never left each other's sides. I wrapped my arm around Rick, trying to help him walk. We made our way around a corner, trying to find Judith. We all stopped when we saw an empty car seat. Blood coated the pink cushions, and Rick started breathing heavily. Carl lifted his gun, shooting a walker that came near. He continued to shoot the rotting creature even when it was on the ground. He shot until he ran out of bullets and Rick limped to him, wrapping his arms tightly around the boy. He started sobbing, and Rick pulled him back. Hailey immediately went to Carl, as I stayed back to help Rick.

We walked for hours, trying to find a place to stop. We all needed the rest, especially Rick. I looked up to see Hailey and Carl holding hands. I wanted to scream out, but I kept my mouth shut. He was giving her so much attention! They just met and he wants her more than me.

I shook my head, blocking out the thoughts. All I cared about was keeping them safe.

Before we knew it, we made it to a little bar, Rick pulling off of me. He took his gun out and held it up, ready to check the place.

"Stay here you two." Carl said lowly, pointing between Hailey and I.

"But I-" I started.

"No." Carl cut me off.

I glared at him and crossed my arms.

"You too Carl, stay out here." Rick said.

"No. I can do it." He spat at his father.

Rick sighed and slammed the door open, both of them disappearing through the building. I took a seat against the front of the chipping wood, Hailey sitting besides me.

"Carl is really sweet." She smiled.

"Mhm." I mumbled, playing with a blade of grass.

Suddenly there was a gunshot that made it's noise through the house. I jumped up, pulling out my gun.

"Carl, I said not to!" I heard Rick yell.

"You couldn't do it with the axe!" He screamed.

"Oh damn." I muttered under my breath.

Carl stormed out of the building, Rick following behind him. Carl walked away, fuming with anger. Hailey ran after him, and I crossed my arms, not even bothering.

I sigh as I stare off a little ahead of Rick and I, where Carl's head was laying on Hailey's shoulder and her arms were wrapped around him. That was supposed to me, that would have been me, it could have been.

"I see how you look at him Hannah." Rick grumbled next to me.

"Who? I'm not looking at anyone in any way." I mumbled.

"You can't lie to me. I know you don't like how Hailey got in between you two." He stopped me, and stared right at me.

I moved my eyes down to my hands, avoiding his glance.

"I know exactly how you feel. You want Hailey here, but she's also making it harder for you and Carl to get closer. You are upset that they connected so quickly, and how fast Carl was willing to leave you." He said.

"Why are you saying these things? He's your son." I looked back up at the man I considered as my father figure.

"He may be my son, but it doesn't mean I have to support his decisions. He hasn't got a normal childhood, I have to let this play out. He's obviously confused about this whole girl thing." Rick and I both let out a little laugh.

"Personally, I wish he had chosen you. I don't know Hailey well, plus you and Carl make the perfect couple. Sadly, he has to figure this out on his own." I blushed at his comment.

"You're right. You get it; but there is nothing I can do. I can't change his opinions and I certainly can't ruin my sister's happiness." Rick and I continued walking, trying to catch up to Hailey and Carl.

"Were you close before?" He asked.

"I guess. We had our issues, we had a lot of them. Hailey took a lot of my friends, and she was always better with boys. Despite the fact that we were like 12, she always knew how to charm people." I sighed.

"Growing up isn't an easy thing. It wasn't easy before, and it certainly isn't any easier now. I have faith that it'll all work itself out." The kind man smiled at me, while resting his arm on my shoulder.

He bent over, gripping his leg where the wound was.

"We can stop if you need to." I said.

"No, no. We have to keep going. We have to find a safe place to rest."

He stood back up and we continued to follow Hailey and Carl, sadness making it's way into my chest.

"You should tell him how you feel. We all know how long you've liked each other." Rick said after a few minutes of silence.

"I'm good." I added back shortly.

"We also all know that's a lie. He's always liked you. He made me promise not to say anything, but I think you need to know." Rick chuckled.

I smiled to myself.

"Maybe I will."

"Go get 'em tiger." Rick smiled.

I laughed and made sure he was okay before catching up to Carl....

Whew!  It's been a long time since I've updated!  Not many people read this, but shout out to the people who've read both other chapters!  Hopefully my future chapters will only get better!

-Bella