CHAPTER 23: NEW YORK

Devon Davies had a cigarette in his hand and a lighter in the other; not sure if he wanted to ignite the raw spark.

Around him, the strobing lights rotated to the loud beats emitting from every corner of the club he was in. It was a disordered mess to him, the wild music to which laser coloured bodies danced, hands mismatched in the air, too close to each other to disentangle. Serving the most expensive spirits from all around the world, stood the crowded bar - alcoholic bottles lined on the shelves.

He didn't drink, despite the crowd drowning themselves in expensive wine. Alcohol was disgusting to him, smoking was more in option. But Ashleena Evans, a constant torment in his thoughts flashed in his line of vision, complete with her disapproving fire blue eyes that demanded attention.

If he said he's didn't care, he would be evasively lying to himself. Which only meant one thing: he flung his newly bought pack out of the balcony he stood near. And the one between his fingers ended up getting crushed under his feet.

And it also meant something very simple, considering the fact he had spent the whole day thinking.

He had started liking Ashleena Evans.

Which was causing his brain a serious complication. Because he thought this kind of thing wasn't meant for him. It did exist - since he knew he had a crush on that brown eyed girl he made met in the wedding. Maybe harboring it since he was nine was stupid, but it was the only beauty in his life.

And it disturbed him very much that someone else was taking that place. Ash, he knew was cynical about everything related to feelings. To commitment. If Kyle and Phoebe weren't an open example of her pessimistic comments, then maybe the fact that she pushed away everyone who asked her out was. It was like an automatic button - a demanded relationship from Ashleena Evans resulted in eternal banishment.

And he was terrified to lose her. Before any of this, she was the closest he had come to being talkative, or announcing friendships or wanting to smile. He couldn't let go of something so solid in life when everything else was a blurry disintegrated picture.

He pushed the thought back - he wouldn't confess to it. Ever.

The night had been simply planned out, there was a fight in D-shot at midnight. And it was the most important one to get into the Championships, his second for the day. Freddy had wanted to come, but he had put him strict in charge of Ash; he didn't trust Bradley Farrows. Which of course made his jaw clench in anger at today's events.

He just wished he had been there a bit early he beat him black and blue; and not to catch the look of pain on Ash's face she was so desperate to hide.

With half an hour to the fight he drove alone towards D-shot. Today's crucial fight was with Phil, his greatest rival. Wrapping his face in Xanax's signature black mask, he stepped into D-shot. Maybe he could never really explain why he fought, or why getting to the finals mattered to him. Maybe it was the coursing thrill, or the power he had at the ring or just that motive to which he would never confess.

Phil was a tough opponent with raging support - but he also happened to be a sore loser. Because as Devon got to the top of both three rounds, Phil had a special treat planned for him before he left D-shot. Once over with the fight in the ring, Devon was surrounded by another one outside with an unfair ratio of one to seven.

"Didn't bring your bitch with you today, Xan?"

Phil stepped closer to Devon held by three guys and then throwing a punch to his tight face. Devon spat at Phil's face, feeling his cheek muscle tear, the warm blood salty in his mouth.