Prologue: Perished

" Now Emily, Don't cry! We'll be back soon," Papa said, wiping away my tears. 

Mama just stood there, her hair in a neat bun, and her dress tightly fitted. Her corset flattening her stomach, and making her breasts seem larger. She smiled weakly, and shook her head. Assuring they'd return as promised.

" We'll miss you dearly, daughter " He added on, glancing back at Mama.

What more could I do but listen? One rude outburst would lead to an immediate smack across the face. Although I couldn't say them aloud, I could always think them.

You always leave. Yes, you return. But after 3 days. How unthoughtful of you to leave your 9-year-old daughter alone, in a home by herself? No, not exactly by herself. She has nanny's, whom nurture her while you are out with the Mayor and his wife, at important events. But the nurturing of  a nanny is nothing like the nurturing of a mother. The love, the tenderness. The warmth.

" I understand, Papa " I was forced to say, quietly and quickly.

He stood up once more, wiping away the dust he had gotten onto his black pants. He grabbed my shoulders firmly, kissing me on top of my head. He grabbed the rest of the carry-ons that the butlers had not picked up yet. Mama grabbed onto the arm of Papa, smiling once more.

As they walked away, I remember a tear rolling down my cheek. Mama happened to glance back, she let go of Papa's arm, and ran to me. Wiping away the single tear that had ran down my freckled cheeks, she grabbed me. Holding me, never wanting to let go, she was pulled away by an impatient Papa.

That was the last time I saw them, my parents. That was my last memory of them, the only happy one. The only memory that I have of Mama's beautiful smile.

They perished. Never returned as promised.

Promises are left broken, and wishes are left deaded. Bloody memories. Unfortunate events occuring around us each and every day. Never to return, never to look back. Gone. Perished. Alone.