Chapter 3: Cut Me A Slice Of That Pizza Pie

*Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep*

“Will you shut your alarm up?!” Daria yelled from across the hallway.

Jalia groaned before hitting her alarm clock. She was not a morning person, especially when she had a test at 9 o'clock that morning. Eventually she swung her legs out and proceeded to get ready for her day. Once dressed and ready to, she ran down the stairs to get to the kitchen and grabbed a bite to eat before driving off.

Once she arrived at school, she noticed Randy waiting for her by her school doors. Jalia went to an all girls high school named Chesterfields Academy. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, their “brother school” named Jefferson College Preparatory School was attached to Chesterfields. Some classes were co-educational however most were not.    

Their schools did not have any sports so both of them had to find an outside soccer team that would accept them. Soccer Varsity was broken into 3 categories: Female League, Male League, and a Co-Ed League. Both Jalia and Randy played for Co-Ed teams. In fact, those usually were the most entertaining to play and watch. The rivals, Cobras and Vipers, were the most amusing to look at.

“We meet again,” Randy stated dramatically.

“Cut the dramatics, pay up. I can’t wait to sink my teeth on an extra large juicy pineapple and green peppers pizza from Dominos,” Jalia’s mouth was watering at the sound of the delicious meal.

Randy thought otherwise, “That’s an interesting combination.” He gave her a frown, confusion written all over his face.

“Please, it’s an outstanding combination.”

Randy just stared at her in amusement.

“You’re as delusional about this pizza choice being a good flavor as you are about beating us in soccer.”

“Aww, it’s cute when you talk as if you’re stating facts. Clearly you need a wake up call,” Jalia mocked Randy with a glint in her eye.

“ Whatever, a deal’s a deal. Here is the $20. Next time I’ll have you treating me out to dinner,” Randy handed Jalia the money then walked to his school.

Jalia chuckled then started up the stairs until something caught her attention.

Silvia and her boyfriend, Jackson, also known as Meatball, came over to Jalia debating who could score the most points between themselves. Meatball was a powerful striker however he was no match for Silvia, and that’s why she was captain and not him.

“I’ll cut you off like a hangnail talking all that smack,” Silvia was saying to Meatball.

“But baby, like a hangnail, I’ll be back,” he replied.

Silvia gave him a weird look before turning her attention to Jalia.

“Anyways, Jalia I’m going to need you to referee our match after practice today,” Silvia stated.

“That’s fine as long as you treat me to Alex’s Cheesecake,” Jalia shrugged back going along with the plan.

“Deal,” Meatball replied, “I’ll see you later babe.”

Meatball headed to Jefferson while Jalia and Silvia split to go to Chesterfields. Once inside, they both had to rush to get to their classes. Jalia had a test in Biology while Silvia had a quiz in Spanish. Neither wanted to be late to their classes because both had strict teachers. Oh how Jalia couldn’t wait till college.

Jalia slipped into her class a minute before the bell could ring, leaving her cousin Tally snickering.

Jalia’s family was like any American-Ghanaian family. They all lived in the same area and went to most of the same schools. Her great-grandparents were born in Ghana but her grandparents, parents and herself were born in America. Recently her immediate family lived in Bethesda, Maryland. Her first cousins Tally, Kweku, Tevin and Yaa all lived in the neighborhood but Tally was the oldest and went to school with Jalia, while the rest of her cousins went to elementary school in Potomac, Maryland.

Tally and Jalia were rivals ever since they were born. Only 2 hours apart in age, the two constantly fought for attention on birthdays, graduation and other celebrations each of them shared. Now their blood was thicker than water. They always had each other’s back whenever the situation presented itself but it was hard to tell that they could be like that through all of their bickering. Tally was also a soccer guru like Jalia. And as you could guess it, Tally was on the Vipers team. Tally was also a defender so she and Jalia didn’t really go against each other during soccer matches. One significant day they did. It was known as the Cupcake Classics