9. Morning Grind

Aiden

The melodic beat winds through the bar providing background for the intimate conversations. It has a cool and laid back vibe that makes you feel relaxed and comfortable.

The space is narrow and long with velvet lined booths along one wall and access to the bar on the other. It's dimly lit but the soft lighting gleams off the luxurious fixtures. The high-quality furniture contrasts sharply with the exposed brick wall behind the booths.

Ethan and I sit at the bar with a glass of single malt each. I turn my head and steal another glace at the group of women in a booth further down.

"Just go over there," Ethan urges me as he caches me looking at her again.

"No, she's going to come over. They always do," I reply arrogantly.

"Bro, you've sent over three bottles of champagne so far. She's not coming over," he argues back.

"Exactly, I'm sure the alcohol will kick in at any moment," I say taking the last swig of my own glass and signalling the bartender for another.

Ethan snorts his disbelief and raises his glass in a toast. "To your change in luck with women," he smirks.

"I have great luck already, I wouldn't want it to change," I counter, "and I'll prove it." I down my next drink and slide off my stool.

I stride over to their booth and slide into it next to the girl I've been watching for the last hour. She's stunningly gorgeous, there are no other words for her. Her hair is the darkest shade of brown that it's almost black and it hangs halfway down her back in loose curls.

My thigh bushes against her neatly folded legs and warmth radiates through me. She turns to face me and I'm captivated by her eyes, they are an expressive caramel and almond shaped, framed with thick lashes.

"Well, it looks like our anonymous benefactor has decided to make himself known," she remarks turning back towards her friends.

"Aiden," I say introducing myself, and holding out a hand to her.

"I think I prefer anonymous," she replies purposely reaching past my hand and grabbing her drink.

"Will one of you lovely ladies tell me her name?" I ask her two friends. The blood with corkscrew curls, blushes at the complement and dips her head shyly. The other has siren red hair cut into a stylish bob, she smirks at me but she doesn't answer my question either.

"Thanks for the wine," the girl says in a clear dismissal.

"What was that? You would like me to join you for a glass? I'd love one," I say purposely ignoring the annoyed look on her face.

"Just because you paid for a few bottles of wine, doesn't mean you can intrude on our evening," she lectures me. "Run along, you can't buy me," she says shooing me away with one hand.

"Are you sure about that?" I challenge.

"Positive," she replies.

"I bet you have dinner with me within a week." I swipe the business card I saw her showing her friends earlier, off the table and glance at the name. "Enjoy your night Meilani," I smirk victoriously at her.

This will be almost too easy.

******

I slide into consciousness slowly.