3. I Need Better Friends

Aiden

Ethan waits until the sound of her heels clicking on the floor fades into nothing before he starts talking. "That was close," he says looking down at the torn divorce papers. He scrunches them up in his hand and tosses them towards the bin, basketball style.

I watch the paper fall cleanly into the basket and sigh with resignation. I'm getting accustom to the fact that I'm going to feel out of the loop in my own life for some time. "I think you should try to fill me in on everything that happened over the last two and a half years," I say.

He thinks about it for a long time before finally opening his mouth. "No," he states simply.

"What the fuck?" I swear at him frustrated. He's been my best friend since high school and he chooses now to betray me. My life seems so different now, I have a wife and god knows what else. I mean, what's going to walk through that door next; a mistress and a love child? God, I need answers.

"Look, I will give you most of the basics but I can't tell you everything," he elaborates.

"What the hell not?" I rage. This is so frustrating, why can't I remember?

"Because it's better that you don't know," he says urging me to understand.

"How is this better?" I say spreading my hands out to motion towards my current state. The movement tugs at my IV line and I scowl as I sit back.

"Because she spoke to you today," he stresses trying to get me to understand how monumental this is. "She didn't yell, cry or throw anything at you, which is a dramatic improvement on last week believe it or not. I think a large part of it is because you don't remember why things went south for you two,"

"Whatever, just tell me what you can and I'll fill in the blanks myself," I mutter angrily. If Ethan won't help me I bet I can hire a private investigator to piece together something for me. Or I could just ask my personal assistant, Sarah knows my life inside and out.

"Okay let's see, where should we start," Ethan says deliberating. He drops himself heavily into the small metal chair next to my bed and leans his elbows on his knees before clasping his hands together.

"What's her name?" I ask suddenly curious.

Ethan smirks at my interest in her. "Meilani but those closest to her call her Mel," he says.

He pronounces it may-LAR-nee. I roll her name around inside me head and decide that I like it. It suits her. It feels a little bit exotic just like her. I can't seem to get her almond shaped eyes out of my mind.

"You guys met at your bar and well, what's the phrase, one thing lead to another," he continues.

"You mean we had sex?" I interrupt a little too eager.

"No, I mean she rejected you and you pursued her relentlessly until she finally gave in," he elaborates with amusement. No doubt he enjoyed mocking me as I failed to charm her.

"Okay, then what?" I press for more information.

"Then you started dating, fell in love, moved in, got married. It was a classic love story," he summaries quickly.

"Can you be any vaguer?" I ask annoyed. I know he said he would only give me the basics but it wouldn't hurt him to be a little more forthcoming.

"Well, since you asked so nicely. You had some relationship issues and she threw you out and demanded a divorce. You, plus motorcycle, equals amnesia and here we are, all caught up," he smiles pleased with himself.