Chapter 3: Tristan

I couldn't wouldn't believe it. When my mom told me that Clementine, my Clementine was hit by a car, on her 16th birthday nonetheless. I was shaking my head vigorously, one thought going through my head: No. It can't be. Not Clementine.

After I registered that my girlfriend, the one I had planned (though I had never told her this) to marry one day was gone, I ran to my room. Too shocked to cry, I stared at the green walls of my room. Green. Like her old gum-boots. Like her eyes. I couldn't  look at the wall so I buried my face into my bed sheets. 

My mom's voice carried through my door. "Tristan, hon, are you alright?"

I didn't answer. I didn't feel like talking ever again.  If I couldn't hear Clementine's voice, then why should anyone hear mine?

"Tristan. Please. Just let me talk to you." my mom urged.

Again, no sound came from my mouth. My mom eventually left the hallway. I could hear her soft footsteps, always composed, no matter how upset she was, leaving the hallway. I could tell that she too was devastated about this, because even though her footsteps were orderly, her breath was ragged. 

I then realized that Clem's dad would be all alone. With his wife gone and now Clementine, there would be no one there for him. I was being selfish. Tim needed Clementine more than I did. That was when the first tear fell. Before I knew it, my face was drenched with my salty tears. Then I heard her  voice.

"Hello Tristan."