10. Parents' blessings

To theladygaia😊
To prettyboy Baby powder😊

***********

"Mom, why are you not happy for me?"

"That's not it, Rose. You know its traditional for a man to seek a girl's hand in marriage through her parents. That's what happened with me, your aunt, my mother, everyone! Why should it be any different with you?"

"Mom, she can ask Alex to come meet you. I'm sure that can be arranged," I proposed.

Diana sat quietly and watched the drama wide eyed. 

"What about your father?" Mom had this forlorn look while asking that.

"Dad has never been present for anything! Why should we even consider him now? I don't get this Mom!" Rose shouted.

"My daughter, if you are getting married and starting your own life, all I want for you is to do it the right way. We don't want your in-laws to know about your awkward relationship with your father. Its tradition for the father of the bride to give consent. This is very important Rose."

"So you want us to lie to my in laws? Mom! Alex already knows dad is never there!"

The look on my mom's face as a reaction to what Rose said was very scary. She looked shocked and angry at the same time. Her fair skin turned as red as a ripe tomato.

I need to get Diana out of here.

"Come on Diana, let's go." I gestured at her. She got up from her seat like it had just caught fire.

"Chris! Wait!" Rose called out to me.

Guys this is really awkward for Diana. Can't we talk about this over the phone or something. 

"If you find dad at the hospital, you tell him to come home for the traditional engagement get-together next weekend. As the father of this house."

I paused for a minute to discern mom's quizzical reaction.

"Okay." I gave up. 

Then it was the two of us and the bus journey ahead.

**********

"Chris, can we pass by a church before we go? I feel like I need to pray."

"Oh, sure thing."

There was this small church nearby, that did not have mass on Sunday, instead, gathering was done in another bigger church that can accommodate many people.

That day it only had like 3 people inside doing their individual worship, scattered around the available pews. We walked in straight to the pulpit. Diana knelt in front of the cross then closed her eyes. I decided to do the same.

How do I begin, hellow God, umm...no. that sounds wrong. Dear God... Yeah. Dear God... okay. What do I say next...umm... thank you for all your favour and blessing, ummm.. amen? 

I opened my eyes but did not get up. I did not want Diana to get distracted, although I  most certainly was.

She had her hands together under her chin. She looked so peaceful, so beautiful, so perfect. I felt warmth radiating from the centre of my chest to my whole body and arms. A tear left her eye and trickled down her face. I felt sad for her, having lost her mother recently and going through a break up at the same time. She is as strong as a lion if you ask me.

I did not budge even after she whispered "Amen" and opened her eyes and turned to look at me. They were swimming in tears. I stared right into the brown, then subconsciously lifted my hand to her face and wiped the tears.

"Oh Chris." She laughed.

"Im sorry, D"

"What for?"

"Everything. Kevin did you wrong. You deserve someone special."

"Oh..." she laughed and got up. "It's okay Chris. It only hurts a little. We have to get going now."

I got up. "I hope he chockes on a fish bone."

"What!" She laughed. "You can't wish for something bad to happen for someone. Especially when you are in church!"

Then we got out of the church and headed towards the bus stage.

"Okay, we are out of church now. I wish he grows long nasal hair that would stick out of his nose. Then people would run away from him and he would be lonely."

She was cracking up.

"You know he could just cut away the nasal hairs, right? That's a lame wish."

I paid for two tickets and got on the bus. It was almost full, so we did not get two seats together. We had to sit apart. I could still see her from where I sat though. She was on the opposite side of the aisle, one seat ahead. I wanted to see her smile again. Seeing her happy made me happy. So I texted her.

"I wish he lost all his hair then he would be bald and ugly."

As soon as I hit 'send' I looked up at her and watched her reaction. She laughed so hard then typed back.

"I wish he walks into a brick wall!"

I liked that she could joke about it. So I replied, and she texted back.

"I wish he gets mud splashed on him by a car!"

"I wish a baby pukes on his lab coat and he has to walk around in it all day!"

"Eww D, that's disgusting!"  I laughed aloud. When I looked up at her again she was glowing with happiness. I felt relaxed.

*******

When we got off the bus it was raining heavily.

I had to go to the hospital first to see my father before going to my place.

I did not have an umbrella with me, but Diana had one. We had to share. This was definitely not the first time we had to share an umbrella; but it felt diffrent. I was enjoying being at such close proximity to her. I didn't want it to end.

"Hey, do you mind going to the hospital with me first? Please?"

"Oh yeah! You need to talk to your dad! That's okay. I'll wait at the canteen I'm starving. How about you?"

"Me too. We will meet up for the late lunch later at the canteen then. I'll find you there."

*********
I found my dad reading a book. His leg was casted.

"Chris! My son! I'm so happy to see you. I got accustomed to your regular visits. I missed you these past few days."

That was the sweetest thing i had ever heard from my dad in forever.

"I was just busy." I told him. I could see his face coloured with an emotion. I wondered  if it was guilt.

"Son, I want to ask you to forgive me. I have wronged you in many ways. Going through the surgery was frightening. I was afraid, not of death; a possible complication- I know; but of leaving with so many sins. If you can find it in you, son, I'd like a second chance. With all of you. But before i try anything I'd like you to consent it first. Please Chris, give me a chance to make it up to you."

I was dumbfounded.

*********
Hellow guys😊

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

I wonder how some of you would handle such a scenario. PM me, comment.... I will be thrilled to hear from you. 😊

Do not forget that star at the bottom🌟

Thanks for reading.

Frikadeller⚘