18. Kevin Anon

"Chris! Come on! Dr. Samson has arrived! We will be late!" I call out to Chris. He was walking slowly, replying to texts on his phone.

"Whats up..?" I asked as we half walked half ran to the ward.

"Meeting dad for lunch. Rose and Jack are coming too."

"Really!? That's interesting! I can't wait to hear all about it later!"

I couldn't wait until after 5pm when Chris and I would meet to just hang out and talk. I had missed spending time with him. He had a lot on his plate; trying to reconnect with his father after so many years. I was proud of him for doing so.

I also couldn't wait until lunch time; because I had a date with Kevin. He had called me the previous evening and we talked and talked like teenagers.

I could hardly pay attention at the ward round.

"Hello? I'm looking for Diana McSalty. Is this she?"

"Yes, may I ask who I'm talking to?"

"It's the doctor you keep bumping into with your vaccutainers."

"Kevin?" I chuckled.

"Oh. You have been expecting my call..."

"Uhm...no.. I haven't..." I quickly replied.

"So you didn't want me to call?"

"No...I mean..yes...uhm..."

He laughed, "I'm just teasing your pretty face."

"Pretty face?"

"Yeah.. I was wondering what made you choose to do medicine. You are too pretty to be a doctor."

"Maybe you tell me first; why did you decide to be a doctor?" I grinned.

"Me? I became a doctor so I could meet pretty girls like you...."

"Is that so..?"

"Yeah! Mission accomplished!"

"Oh"

"Anyway..... This is what happened; in high school, whenever we had biology experiments, the rest of my group would be afraid of the frogs, lizards or rabbits that we would be dissecting. I would do it. Fearlessly. So they called me 'Doctor' . And now I am a doctor."

"That's actually funny." I chuckled.

"You have a sweet laugh Diana."

"Oh thank you Doctor Anon."

"Please, call me Kevin. Or Kev."

"Alright, Kev, my friends call me D."

"So why a doctor, D...?"

"Just like that." I was too shy to tell him so much about myself.

"Please tell me, I'm conducting a research titled 'Beautiful Doctors' and you fit perfectly. "

I just blushed. "There is no such research. "

"You can't say that for sure. You don't know."  After an awkward pause... "It's okay if you cannot tell me. I'm not going to force you. Although my research will fail terribly. Which is bad."

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" I laughed, "My mom. She had been unwell since I was born.  She had a weak heart. I used to go with her for check ups. I've always wanted to be there for her. So I decided to be a cardiologist."