💌2

Published: April 29, 2017. 8:28 PM.
***

His eyes skim over the parchment. Once. Twice. Thrice.

Usually, Adrien finds that he doesn't have the energy to read through mail from his 'fans', but this particular envelope had caught his attention.

It was simple. There was nothing extravagant about it, nothing over the top. Ordinary.

And it had gotten him reading.

Her message is stated clearly, but at the same time, he feels her need to be heard rolling off in waves with the words she had chosen when writing the letter gripped tightly in his calloused fingers.

It isn't his everyday fan mail. Oh, no. This... something about this is very different. This girl, Ladybug, seems to know him.

Intrigued is an understatement. Enthralled is a better word to use.

Adrien finds himself staring out the window as if another letter will suddenly come flying in with the whipping wind. Calm down, he tells himself internally. It's just a letter.

A really well-written, thoughtful letter talking about his kindness. Yep. Completely normal for a girl to talk about something other than his looks and career. Not.

It's got to be the mystery, Adrien decides, running a hand through his already disheveled blonde hair. Why else would I be so curious and drawn in by such a plain letter?

It sure isn't because the i's are dotted with cute little hearts. Nope. Not at all.

He sighs and sets the parchment adorned with neat cursive down on top of the envelope with his name on it. The lamplight keeping his room alit in the darkness flickers, and Adrien reaches out and flips the switch on the lamp's base. The black of night descends, covering every isolated corner and gaping crevice. The only light provided is that of the moon.

And even that can't seem to keep Adrien from drifting off into a troubled sleep.

* * *

• • •
Dear Adrien,
Good morning! How are you? Oh, wait, sorry. I guess you can't answer that. Well, I hope you had a good morning anyway. I know I just wrote to you yesterday, but I can't help myself!

I know you're probably not reading this, but I just want to remind you that you make me smile whenever I see you in the halls. That reminds me! Have you heard about the masquerade ball being held by the Bourgeois family? I mean, I'm not really invited because Chloé absolutely despises me, the brat, but I'm going to go anyways. It's not like anyone will be able to recognize me with a mask on. I already have a couple of ideas for my dress.

Wait, sorry, I'm getting off topic.

Your forgiving smile.

I could probably run your dog over with a car and you'd forgive me. Oh gosh, that does not sound right. I wish I could erase that. My point is—your forgiving smile tells me a thousand things about you. You've put up with more than you deserve and have had to fight your way through it. You've gotten used to forgiving people.

And that's beautiful.

That's all for now, I suppose. I hope to see you smile again soon. :)

Xoxo, Ladybug.
• • •

Adrien's cheeks flame, and a small smile touches his parted lips. His heart pounds roughly against his ribcage as he reads over her words.

And that's beautiful.

Beautiful? Yes, he has been called beautiful before. Innerly beautiful for having struggled through a tough year without his missing mother? Never.

He'd heard about Chloé's party just yesterday. The thought hadn't struck him as interesting the previous day, but Adrien finds himself devising a plan to ask Nathalie about going.

Adrien smiles and tucks the letter back into the envelope before gently putting it in his bag. He closes his locker and turns to head to homeroom.

She sees me in the halls. I wonder who she could be...?

Name after name flies through his head, but he rejects all of them.

I need to know what she looks like.

No hints have been dropped in either letter so far. How on earth is he supposed to figure out who she is?

Maybe she doesn't want him to know.

Adrien frowns.

Well now I want to know even more.

***

Woo! Second chapter? Done!

Planning to work on the next one after I eat dinner. :)

Xoxo, J.