Avoidance

"Often life is a frantic avoidance of the truth."
- Adyashanti

- - -

We were getting worried because Hanna had been uncontactable for the entire school day. Even Mona had no clue, and if Mona had no clue, it was probable that we would only be able to talk to Hanna at Noel's party. 7As such, the girls had dispersed after school and I went home to take a nap before Noel's.

"Can I come in?" asked Robin, knocking the door.

"No!" I bellowed. "Go away and never come in"

"Ha," Robin chuckled, ignoring my words and proceeded into my room before making himself comfortable on the beanbag. "Very funny."

"What's up?" I asked.

"What's wrong?" He replied.

"Nothing?" I said, confused.

"Nothing? Cara, you've been avoiding the topic of your parents' every single time. I'm starting to doubt that you even remember that it was their anniversary today."

"Woah, just because I'm not willing to spend my night watching 80's chick flicks and listen to the 80's music on their death anniversary, doesn't mean that I forgot about it." I retorted.

"Then talk to me, Cara. Why do you refuse to talk about them every time that topic is brought up? Have you not accepted their death?"

"Because I feel horrible every time I get reminded that my parents' are dead,"

"Why? It wasn't your fault,"

"How are you so sure?"

"Aunt Tessa couldn't take the abuse and she did what she had to do. Nobody knew that she was being bullied by her cellmates either."

"If it's anybody's fault, it's your dad's fault for not picking himself up when he had to. But you? It's not your fault," Robin added.

"Look. I have accepted that my parents are dead. So I'm trying to move on from the past and I don't see anything wrong with my avoidance to be reminded of them. I spent 3 months secluded in my room, on the verge of clinical depression. Do you really think I want to go back to the dark days when I just couldn't stop thinking about them?"

"That's the thing. Acceptance doesn't mean avoidance."

"If that's your opinion, fine. Just take it that I'm choosing the option of forgetting that I even had parents." I said fiercely. "And you can't change that."

"Cara-"

Robin was interrupted by my message tone. I grabbed my phone and I checked the message.

"If only Robin knew the exact reason why.... -A," it had read.

At this point, I was full of rage and fear. However, not wanting Robin to figure out that some wimp who hides behind the phone was trying to torture me, I tried my best to keep an emotionless expression.

"That's Spencer, rushing me," I said, before jetting off to Noel's.

It was pretty insane as to how Noel managed to invite so many people. Was it an open invitation to all, or was he so popular that everybody here knew him?

I heaved an internal sigh of relief that when I caught sight of Emily.

"Thank god you're here, Em. The number of people here is bonkers," I remarked, before noticing that she was with a fresh face.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"This is Maya," replied Emily. "She's staying at the previous Dilaurentis's house."