Ch. 11 A Hero, a Protector

He watches me.

Soufflé comes through the woods and watches where I go and what I do.

It was the only explanation for a slew of coincidences; odd questions, how he knew about the door charms, why he had appeared unexpectedly at Lessoc and now this evening.

In her mind, it was very clear that the fairy with a receding hairline and mismatched clothes was watching her and not spying on her, not with that fuzzy hair. On the other hand, he was not watching over her. Apparently, he didn't come when she needed him—only when he wanted to meddle.

One of his curly-q shoes bounced with impatience and she had a difficult time keeping a straight face.

Giving into her smile, she called, "Soufflé, I'll wear my mother's old dress if I choose and I've invited the horse to stay at the chalet, so that's why he is following me."

"Coquelicot! Now you listen to me! I've told you before and I'll tell you again, that horse is evil, pure evil through and through, so—"

"No, Soufflé, he's not. He eats carrots."

The fairy sputtered, opening and closing his mouth several times, making popping noises. "Carrots? Carrots? What do carrots have to do with him being evil or not?"

"You say he is evil through and through, well I say it isn't so. Evil creatures don't eat carrots," said Cocot with a certainty that surprised even her.

"And what exactly do you know about evil creatures?"

"Tell me I'm wrong, Soufflé. Swear on the memory of your departed parents that creatures like to eat carrots.'"

"I will have you know, young lady, that dark fairies hold magnificent feasts with all manner of fresh fruits and vegetables. And flowers, too!" He started pointing his finger at her. "I know for a fact that dark elves and fairies decorate their soups and salads with those orange and red nasturtium flowers, and eat rosebud petals dipped in sugar. Just because they'll pretty up a meal with blue borage doesn't mean they won't cut out your liver and serve it up raw!"

During this, the horse continued to walk into the thick underbrush along the ridge over the road. He crashed through bushes, dead branches and saplings like a giant smashing a hamlet of wood and straw-thatched houses.

Cocot hesitated, but decided against following the wake of his destruction. She skipped down the stairs to where Soufflé was puffing and fuming, hoping that the horse would meet them in the lane further away.

"They would serve my raw liver?" she asked.

"With relish!"

"Relish?"

"And carrots, too, yes!" declared Soufflé. "Now send that thing away before it hurts you!" He flitted upwards to be at eye level to the girl, but stopped pointing his finger since it made him spin backwards.

"I can't send him away. He needs someone to care for him. Besides, he won't last the winter in his condition, so stop worrying."

"I'm not asking you. I'm telling you all he needs is a few seconds to trample you to death," he said. "Believe me on this."

"He's had more than enough opportunities to trample me, but he hasn't."

"That doesn't mean he won't, my little Coquelicot!"

"Do you know who you remind me of?" she asked.

"Who?"

"You remind me of the uncle I never had."