Ch. 30 A Message of Ashes

Heavy steps crashed through the trees, catching up with her. She pushed herself harder, fear giving her wings.

"Cocot!" yelled Daniel.

She slowed, asking herself if it was worth it to stop, or if it would be easier to never speak to him again. It was always the same, every glimmer of friendliness was promptly crushed by that part of him that was cold and sharp.

"Cocot, wait!" He reached her and took her arm.

She turned.

"I'm sorry," he gasped. "I'm sorry, you are right. They don't see me so why should it matter if they don't see you? I'd rather have you as my friend than any number of them. I just...I just don't understand."

"I can't explain. But it isn't safe. Keep the mythology book I gave you. I'll miss you."

"Wait for me tonight and I'll come with you," he said, hands on both her shoulders.

"No, please. It's safer for us both like this. I'm taking Hector and we will go as fast as we can."

"Then will you find me later? I'll go to Lausanne for work in October. I won't stay here this winter if you're not here. I'll go to Lausanne and every evening I'll wait at the train station for you. Will you come?"

"I will come," she said. She would go to the city of Lausanne and haunt the train station every day, watching and waiting for him. She would go even though he would forget her. She would go in the hopes of crossing his path one day. Then, unseen and unknown, she would follow him.

"You promise?" he asked.

"I promise."

"I'll help you find a room and work when you come. It'll be fine, you'll see."

"Until October?" she asked.

"October," he agreed.

She nodded and he smiled.

"Goodbye," she said, eyes blurring with tears. She waited until he had disappeared through the trees. "Goodbye."

She hurried home quick as her feet would take her. She checked on Hector briefly when she arrived at the chalet, and told him sternly to stay nearby.

For the rest of the afternoon and evening, she sat at the table in the chalet no candles lit or fire in Sarina. As soon as it was dark enough, she would run. She would take Hector across the field toward the Sonlomont and they would be gone before the passage keeper or the great fairies could notice.

Leaving the bottle of evil in the cellar.

She had to hope it would be safer here once she was gone. That no one would suspect Fanchon had hidden it in a human home. If a fairy creature did come looking for it and made it past the locks and charms, then maybe Jean-Baptist would make himself useful for once and scare the creature away.

"You must never leave, Cocot," her mother's voice echoed over and over in Cocot's mind through the hours. "You must stay and protect the last one."

"I'm not staying any longer, Mother. I can't keep your secrets safe, I can't even keep myself safe if I stay here."

Darkness began to spread through the valley, but Cocot could not bring herself to stand and go. She insisted it should be darker—the sky was still violet. She would wait for the first stars.

A thump sounded at one of the windows, followed by an urgent rat-a-tat-tat.

"Coquelicot!" call Soufflé from outside. "Are you in there?"