Ch. 29 Kindness Repaid

Cocot squeezed Daniel's constellation book to her chest until the points dug into her skin. She no longer belonged anywhere in the human world. She was untethered—lost and more alone than ever.

Soufflé, unnoticed, landed on her shoulder. She shrugged to make him go and hurried away from the tables.

"Coquelicot!" he called.

"Soufflé," she said, not looking at him, "I'm so glad you found me. I wanted to say goodbye. I'm leaving just like you told me to. It was lovely knowing you and perhaps one day we can get together—"

"Coquelicot!" he interrupted, flying in front of her face. She tried to go around, but he flitted with her. "Has it happened, child? Are you fully fairy kind now? The children can't see you, either?"

She clenched the book in anger. "I would rather be a thoughtless, dumb flower in the dirt than a fairy! I wish my mother had never found me! I wish she had never changed me! I wish all fairy creatures would dry up and disappear forever. I have to abandon my home because of fairies. I just lost my only friend because of fairies. And I'm supposed to be a fairy, too? With my one drop of magic?"

Soufflé held his hands up to beg her to listen.

"Child, I know it is painful to change, it is always painful, but becoming fully fairy is not so horrible. You will have more strength and magical power, the ability to travel far and wide. Sickness, hunger, cold; these things will hardly touch you. It is the way of fairy life. Can't you learn to accept the good along the bad?"

"I had one friend, Soufflé. Do you love anyone? Do you care about anyone?"

"Do I...why, I loved, I love my family," he mumbled. "And I care about...." He did not finish.

"Well, I have no family and I never will because of fairies. I don't even get to say goodbye to Daniel before I have to leave. There is no kindness in them or their world."

"Our world has kindness," he countered. "Sometimes." His hand brushed his miniature tea cup hanging from his belt. "Take this." He held up an empty hand, smaller than her fingertip.

She shook her head and continued to walk blindly down the drive. Only a minute later, Soufflé caught up, out of breath from flying so fast.

"Take this, Coquelicot! Touch his eyes and tell him to see you," he gasped. "Trust me."

She held out her finger to his hand and he touched it. There was the barest shimmer, like quartz flecks in the dirt, a tiny flash then nothing.

"It's all I have, but it should last a few minutes. Enough for you to say goodbye. I'll meet you at your chalet later before you leave tonight." With that, he careened in a side curve and away.

Coquelicot stopped. Soufflé must have given her the dust he used for spells.

She would try one more time. Magic had saved Hector. It would help her now.

The women were beginning to clear the dishes and platters from the tables, older men joining Mr. Ruffieux in lighting their pipes and cigarettes. Daniel was standing up and making as though to follow the group he had been sitting with, even though they ignored him.

Cocot walked towards him, weaving in and about the humans, walked behind him and reached her hand to his eyes.

"Turn, Daniel, and see me again."

A child near Cocot wailed in frustration and Daniel glanced around to pinpoint the sound. His gaze fell on Cocot. He blinked in surprise and confusion. Then he smiled.