Chapter Three

I walked back home, furious at Derek. Why was he so rude? Joseph was able to let go of our past easily, so why wasn't he? Was it because he was a vampire? That being Turned made him bitter and angry? Or was it just because his hate for me was deeper than Joseph's?

    Maya sat on the front porch, twirling a lock of hair in her fingers. She wore her work outfit, so I knew her shift was over. When she saw me, she stood. "Forgot my key."

    I unlocked the door for both of us and went to lay down on the sofa. Maya sat in front of the fireplace and lit the coals. I turned over and faced away from the dancing flames. The sight of fire caused me pain, because it was a reminder of that horrible night.

    The doorbell rang sometime when I had drifted into a state of unawareness, and I heard Maya shuffle to the door.

    "Nat! It's for you!" She called from the hall.

    I pushed my body off of the couch and took my time walking to the door. My head was down, and all I could focus on were my feet. As I reached the door, I raised my head. When I saw who had come, I immediately spun around and headed back into the living room. 

    "Natalie," Kane caught my arm and turned me back around.

    "Derek still hates me. How could I possibly work with someone who refuses to forget our past? Why must I work with him? If you insist that we work as partners, then I obviously went to the wrong person for help. The two of us are just not compatible." I balled my hands into fists to keep my emotions at bay.

    Kane stepped closer and took both of my fists in his hands, uncurling them. "Derek has gone through much in his two years at war, so do not blame him for lashing out at you. Give him a chance, Natalie. He really is a nice guy; a nice guy who was crushed in the battlefield."

    "And who's to say he won't shove me against a wall and yell at me again?"

    "I will make sure he won't. After all, he seeks my help, as well. Trust me, this will all work out for the better. Derek is someone who, if he warms up to you, will be a amazing friend and protector when you need him," Kane said, dropping my hands. "And try to refrain from clenching your fists so much."

       I gave a long sigh. "I'm willing to do anything, as long as it helps me kill Dimitri. But good luck convincing Derek. He was stubborn even as a child." Just like me, I thought. Us two, we're exactly the same. That's why we hate each other so much. Opposites attract, and likes repel.

    He touched my head. "Don't you worry too much about him, sweetheart."

    The next morning, I woke up and found a note taped to my bedroom door. It was from Maya, explaining that she had gone to work and that Kane called, telling me to go to his house as soon as I received the message.

    I threw on my ever-present outfit of worn, black jeans and a grey hoodie. After getting dressed, I went downstairs and sniffed around the living room. Maya had left about four hours ago, and there had not been any visitors while I was asleep. As soon as I knew that my house was safe and empty, I left. 

    Once I reached Kane's house, he welcomed me in and led me to his basement. I was surprised to see Derek down there, standing in the corner. Another thing that stood out to me was the cage-like door in the wall of his basement.

  "Alright, you two. Today, I'm going to help you sort out your differences, so you can finally start working and acting like partners. I know you and your families have history, but when you are under my roof, none of us are enemies. Now, I have brought someone here to meet you. I hope he can make you forget the past," Kane said. He walked over to the wall to the right of me and pushed open the cell door and out walked the most grotesque creature I had ever seen.