Piece Eighteen

“Look, Jenna. I really want to make this right. I did some terrible things...” Niall trailed off and I looked at him as coolly as I could muster. “Why?” I asked, “Why did you do it?” my eyes almost closed to slits as I glared at Niall. “I don’t have any good reason if you want one. I don’t know why I did it- I just felt so alone.” I gazed at him for a while, processing the words. “What you did is unforgiveable Ni, you have to realize that.” He nodded solemnly. “I-I guess.” I had this sudden overwhelming urge to hit him, hard. The next thing I knew my arm was pulling back and Niall was cowering back clutching at his left eye. “I deserved that.” He said, a hint of a grin on his face. “This isn’t a joke, who knows who will find out?” It hadn’t meant to come out like a threat, but it did. “Oh gosh, Jenna please don’t tell Harry- or anyone!” I squeezed my eyes together again. “I won’t. For now.” And with one last glare I got out of the car and strolled back to my front door, squeezing my jacket around me against the chill of the night.

The whole night I’d been tossing and turning, not a single closed eye. Dawn came and morning flew by before Luna woke up. The moment she did however her words were, if not truthful, painful. “Wow, you look really bad. Did you even sleep? I did, like a log!” It’s funny how she sounded so cheerful in the morning, not. I threw my cushion at her, which she avoided. “Hey! What was that for?” She grinned. “You could’ve lied.” I answered accusingly, groaning and falling back onto my matrass. “I never lie.” Her voice sounded smug, but I didn’t bother to comment. After Luna finally convinced me to get up, “You have a date today, remember?”, I saw that she was right about me. I looked like crap. Staring at myself in the mirror I wiped away a little mascara residue from under my eyes. “I need a shower.” I muttered. “Yeah you stink!” Luna shouted. Come on, how did she even hear that?! I groaned and shouted back that she could have breakfast without me.

            After a nice hot shower I towel dried myself and wrapped another towel around my hair and head. I put some easy clothes on for the meantime and sprayed deodorant liberally under my armpits. Closing the bathroom door I went downstairs towards the kitchen. “Have you finished with the bathroom?” Luna asked, coming to meet me halfway. I nodded, “Knock yourself out.” While Luna was doing whatever she was doing in the bathroom I grabbed some oatmeal from a cupboard and put it in a bowl, poured milk into said bowl and took a spoon out of a drawer. A glass of orange juice and my breakfast was ready to be eaten. I tucked into it after switching the radio on. A funky song came on and I tapped my foot to the beat. Once I’d finished my meal I put the bowl in the sink, where two other dirty dishes were. Taking a peek through the kitchen window I saw that mum’s care was gone. Obviously she’d gone to work. Someone jumped on my back which almost made me fall over of fright. “Wooh!” Luna screamed in my ear. Why was she this active? “Never do that again, ever.” I said looking at her and rubbing my arm that I’d bashed against the wall. She shrugged and smiled at me.

            After a few excruciating hours of keeping my head from exploding it was finally about time that Harry would pick me up. “I’ll be going, have fun on your date lovie!” Luna said, giving me a quick and rather awkward hug before leaving. Listening to the clock go by made me nervous. Sure enough, a few minutes later the doorbell rang. Before I opened the door I took a deep breath. “Hi.” I said as I opened the door, smiling. Harry had a dark blue button down shirt on with some black jeans. Needless to say, he looked incredible. “Hello, sweetheart.” He answered, bending towards me to fleetingly press his lips against my cheek. I blushed. I felt underdressed in my simple wine coloured dress. “You look amazing.” Harry told me, looking me up and down. I thanked him before we made our way to his car. He’s truly a gentleman, he opened the car door for me before getting in it himself.  It took an age to get to wherever we were going, Harry wouldn’t tell me as he wanted it to be this big surprise. I had a vague suspicion we were heading towards the sea. I’d told him before about the one time that my mother had taken me to the seaside where we laid on the beach for a good deal of the night, staring up at the stars. It had been the prettiest view ever. I would give anything to go back to that day and relive it, not that anything in my life was bad at the moment. In fact (almost) everything was going very well. The only things that still didn’t make life perfect, not that life would ever be perfect, was the Evil Stepdad Walking Out On Us thing and the Niall-Luna thing. Now sitting in the passenger’s seat staring out of the window at the setting sun, I relived that day in my memory. “What are you thinking about?” Harry asked quietly. “Stars.” I answered, simply smiling. Harry nodded and hummed. “They are very pretty.” I thought about it for a while. “Yes, yes they are.” Harry rested his hand on mine, that was lying on my thigh. Moving it only when he changed gears. “We’re almost there.” He announced and my excitement and anticipation doubled. “Are we-?” I didn’t have to ask because just then a beautiful view of the sea opened up in front of us. “Wow.” I said wonderingly. “I know right? It’s almost as pretty as stars are. Just imagine them together...”