Chapter 5: I'm Not A Duchess

Song: Best Mistake by Seaway

"Monday morning, a lot less boring
When you trace over my tattoos with your finger
We got drunk and I felt stupid
But you helped me through it
Goddamn, you're tearing me apart."

☼ ☽ ☼

I'm in the middle of eating a sandwich my mom made for me when Nina saunters in the kitchen, holding something rectangular and black.

            "Guess what I found?" She beams, sliding it onto the counter surface beside me.

            I glance at the object and back to her with a shrug. "A wallet?"

            "Yes, but look—" She opens it and taps on the ID. "Lukas Oliver. And how the hell does he even look good taking a freaking picture for a driver's license?"

            "Um, can I ask how you got his wallet, Nina?"

            She looks at me, completely unamused. "I didn't steal it, Katherine," she retorts. "I was getting my charger out of the car and found it on the floor. Surprised he hasn't been looking for it." With the bend of her finger, she shuts it and pushes it towards me.

            "How would I know he's been looking for it? I never gave him my number and I don't have his. Or maybe he doesn't know it's missing."

            Nina continues pushing it in my direction. "Then maybe you should return it. Help a guy out. If he's looking for it, I'm sure he'd be very happy to have it back." Then she grins at me, as usual when it came to Lukas. "Tell him I said hi." And then she's gone.

            I stare at the wallet like it's going to attack me any moment. Having his wallet is dangerous. Maybe I can just mail it back instead. I'd be going crazy if my wallet was missing, so I'm sure he is right about now.

            After I finish eating my sandwich, I make up my mind and decide to do the good deed of returning it to him. Before I leave, I open the wallet again and type his address into my phone so I know where I'm going. He lives in Palm Coast, but on the other side so it's going to take longer to actually get there.

            My parents are on the beach right now, so I send a text to Nina to let them know I just went out to get food or something.

I think she owes me for once.

☼ ☽ ☼

I drive down an unfamiliar street while my GPS tells me my destination will be on the left.

            Searching, I finally locate the house number that Lukas resides in. It's a smaller house, only standing one story. I notice his car in the driveway, so that is also a giveaway. I park behind his car and find his wallet in the glove box. After I slam it shut, I turn the car off and step out onto the paved driveway.